Chapter 39

DRACO POV

I managed to keep to myself for the first few weeks of term. I only really spoke to Blaise and Pansy, and occasionally a teacher about classwork. The less people I spoke to, the less likely it seemed that they would be suspicious.

I hadn't spoken to Harry. I smiled at him in the corridor, but luckily we hadn't yet been put in a situation where we were able to actually talk to each other. I had the perfect excuse for not going to the Astronomy tower - security had increased around the castle, so it was impossible to get from the dungeons to the top of the castle after hours.

Snape, especially, seemed to be everywhere. I always passed him in the corridors, in the grounds, outside the Slytherin common room. I was convinced that my mother had asked him to keep an eye on me, and I was furious. Did she think I couldn't do this? She probably thought I would chicken out and put our family in danger.

Well, that wasn't going to happen, I thought to myself as I walked along the corridor towards the Room of Requirement.

"Good evening, Draco..."

I closed my eyes at the sound of the silky, drawling voice coming from my left. "Snape."
"Where might you be going at 9:54pm on a Tuesday?"
I hesitated for a fraction of a second before saying, "the library."
Snape regarded me carefully, and then nodded. "Five years, you've attended this school, Draco. I thought even you would have learnt on which corridor the library lies by now."
I glared at him. "Haven't you worked her for, like, sixteen years, Snape? So why haven't you managed to find a shower yet?" I nodded to his greasy black hair, before turning on my heel and stalking off in the opposite direction. "Have a nice evening."

I practically ran around the corner, pausing to see if he was going to follow me. But, to my relief, he didn't.

"Mr Malfoy..."

I jumped a mile at the sound of Snape's voice again. "What?" I looked around the corridor but I couldn't see him anywhere.
"Out for a little walk... In the moonlight?" He drawled right next to my ear, and I spun around to hear someone chuckling.

"You're so cute when you're scared," Harry grinned, pulling off his Invisibility cloak.
"Piss off..." I shoved him gently, smiling. "Should I be worried by how good you are at impersonating Snape?"
"Ron and I make fun of him a lot," he grinned. "What are you doing up here?"
"Going the library." I lied easily. Too easily.
"At 10 o'clock?" He raised an eyebrow.
"It's a free country, Scarhead." Yeah right. "What about you? Where have you been?"
He shrugged. "I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd go for a walk," he replied, not meeting my eyes.

An uncomfortable silence fell. I had a  feeling that I wasn't the only one lying about my reasons for being here, but I didn't want to pry. I didn't deserve the truth if I couldn't give it in return.

"...I am aware of the dangers, Headmaster."

We looked at each other in horror as Snape's voice floated down the corridor.

"Quick, under here!" Harry hissed, jolding up his cloak. I just stared at him. "Don't look at me like that - do you want them to see us walking around after hours?"
"It's only... Two minutes past ten." I sighed, letting him throw the material over us.

I regretted it almost immediately. The cloak was fairly small, so we were standing practically nose to nose. Our chests were touching, and his breath was tickling my chin as he smiled nervously at me. I turned away before I succumbed to the urge to kiss him, and we quickly backed up against the wall as Snape and Dumbledore walked around the corner.

"Of course, Severus," Dumbledore nodded. "But there is so much more at stake this time. For Harry's safety-" Snape snorted quietly. "The boy is a danger to himself."
"For Harry's safety, he needs to understand the whole story." Dumbledore continued as though he hadn't been interrupted.
"What is the whole story, Dumbledore? What is so important that you cannot trust me with the information, and yet you will willingly offer it to Potter?" He spat his name, as though disgusted by him.