Chapter 13

A/N - Hey guys! This chapter is quite long, because I needed to include quite a bit from the books/films. Don't let that put you off though! I hope you enjoy :-)

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

DRACO POV

"Does anyone know what's inside?" Lupin asked, his eyes shining. It was obvious that this was going to be an interesting lesson, but today I wasn't in the mood for Defence Against the Dark Arts, and I couldn't care less about the shaking wardrobe at the front of the staff room.

"That's a Boggart," Dean Thomas piped up.
"Well done Mr Thomas. Can anyone tell me what a Boggart looks like?"
"No one knows."

I jumped at Hermione's voice. I was sure she had been on her way to Muggle Studies when we spoke in the hallway fifteen minutes ago...

"A Boggart takes the shape of the thing a person fears the most. That's what makes it so-"
"So terrifying, yes." Lupin looked at Hermione approvingly. "Ten points to Gryffindor. So the Boggart currently has no form, and it does not know what will frighten the person on the other side of the door. However, when I let him out, he will immediately become what each of us fears."

My stomach dropped. I didn't want to face my biggest fear. ESPECIALLY not in front of a whole room of my classmates. And Harry.

"This means," Lupin went on," that we have a huge advantage over the Boggart before we begin. Have you spotted it, Harry?"

I looked at Harry as he answered, realising that I didn't know what his worst fear was. Would it be Voldemort? Or the Grim? Or something more standard like spiders or snakes?

"Very good, Harry," Lupin smiled. "The charm that repels a Boggart is simple, but what actually finishes it off is laughter. You need to force it to change into something funny. Repeat the charm after me, please. Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" The class chanted.
"This class is ridiculous," Blaise muttered, and I cracked a smile. I even managed to laugh when Neville dressed Professor Snape in his grandmother's clothes. Perhaps this lesson was alright after all. As long as I didn't have to face the Boggart.

At the end of the lesson, Harry seemed distracted, dawdling at the back of the class when everyone left, and I took the opportunity to talk to him.

"Harry?" He looked around hurriedly, trying to find an escape, but the class was still piling out of the staffroom. "Please, can we just talk?"

Professor Lupin was still over by the wardrobe, but he was engrossed in a book and didn't seem to be listening.

"There's nothing to say," Harry hissed, having noticed him too.
"There is, Harry," I insisted. "I need you to know that-"
"I don't want to know, Malfoy." My heart sank when he emphasised my name, and he turned away, ready to leave the classroom.

I grabbed his arm. "Harry, I've changed since last year. Please believe-"
"Don't you see?" He yelled, forgetting that Lupin was still in the room. "How can I believe you? You humiliated me, and then pretended to be my friend! You were never going to tell me about those tricks! How do I know that I can trust you with anything?"
"Harry, I really was your friend, I swear-"
He shook his head. "You never were. And you never will be," he added coldly, turning on his heel and leaving the staff room.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HARRY POV

"Professor... Can I ask you something?" I caught up to Lupin on the bridge, and he smiled warmly.
"You want to know why I stopped you facing the Boggart. I assumed it would be obvious; I didn't think it would be a good idea for Lord Voldemort to materialise in the classroom."

I gaped at him. Other than myself and Dumbledore, I've never heard anyone say Voldemort's name with such a lack of fear.

"I did think of him at first" I explained, "but then I remembered that night on the train."
"Well I'm impressed. That suggests what you fear most is fear itself."
"I heard a woman. Screaming." I wasn't sure why I was telling Lupin all this. I had only told Ron and Hermione before, but something about him made me trust him.

"Well Dementors force us to relive our worst mem-"
"I think it was my mother." I turned to look at him, grinning.

Something flashed in Lupin's eyes as he looked at me carefully. "You know, the first time I saw you I recognised you immediately. Not from your scar," he shook his head as I touched it lightly with my fingers. "By your eyes. They're your mother, Lily's. Yes, I knew her," he added, seeing my stunned expression. "She was there for me at a time when no one else was." I smiled at him, but he suddenly frowned over my shoulder.

"Mr Malfoy?" He called, and I whipped around. Draco was standing behind the stone pillar at the end of the bridge, looking guilty for being spotted.

"Can we help you with something?" Lupin asked.
"N-no..." Draco stuttered, before collecting himself and scowling. "I was just... Coming up to the castle." He sauntered past us, desperately avoiding my eyes while I glared at him.

I sighed, forgetting that Lupin was there. I jumped when he chuckled, shaking his head at me.

"I hadn't realised there was still a feud between Gryffindor and Slytherin students," he laughed.
"Still?"
"Oh yes. Even when I was at school there was a divide."
I shrugged. "They're not all bad," I muttered.
"Mr Malfoy, for example?"

I turned and stared at him. His eyes had a knowing look in them.

"You know, Harry," Lupin said as we began to walk back up to the castle. "When I was your age, there was a boy I knew who wanted so badly to make some friends. Sadly, his background and the fact that he was a Slytherin put off a lot of people. I felt truly sorry for him, but I was too cowardly to make any attempt to become friends with him. But you know someone who did?" I looked at him quizzically. "Your mother."

I stared at him, and he nodded.

"She believed in second chances. She believed that no one deserved to be judged by who they once were, or who their families were. And most importantly, she believed in this boy. She was sure he could change, and show others who he really was if he tried. And after all these years, seeing him once again, I really think that he proved her right."

Listening to what Lupin was saying, I looked down at my feet. He HAD heard what Draco and I were talking about, and he thought I should give him a second chance.

"Your mother was an uncommonly kind woman, Harry," Lupin continued. "She had a way of seeing the beauty in others, especially when that person couldn't see it in themselves. James, on the other hand," he laughed, "had a certain talent for trouble. A talent, rumour has it," he smiled at me, his eyes twinkling, "he passed on to you."

I laughed slightly. Only a little bit.

"You're more like them than you know, Harry. In time you'll come to see just how much."

-/\-\/-/\-/\-\/-

I hope you liked it! Who do you think Lupin was talking about? And what do you reckon Draco's biggest fear is? I'd love to hear any ideas you might have! Thank you so much for your continued support, I'm so grateful to everyone who stuck with this story even when the updates were terrible. Happy Reading! :-)