Chapter 28

HARRY POV

Ron has been a bit off with me recently. Ever since the Second task, he's been short and uninterested in every conversation I've had with him. It's really starting to frustrate me, because I have no idea what I've done...

Hermione assured me that it was nothing; he was probably just tired or stessing over homework. Draco, on the other hand, was furious.

"You haven't done anything!" He said one night in the Astronomy tower. "And if you have then he should say something!"
I shrugged. "I don't get it either."
Draco was silent for a second, and then sighed. "Maybe he's on his man period."
I chucked a pillow at him. "You're such a twat."
"A loveable twat, though?"
"Of course."

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

I decided to talk to Ron about it. I hated not knowing what I had done to upset him; this was almost worse than when he accused me of lying about the Tournament. At least then I knew what was wrong.

I found him by the fire in the common room, flicking through a copy of Witch Weekly. He looked up as I approached and I raised an eyebrow at him, but he just looked back at the magazine.

"It's Hermione's."

I nodded and sat down next to him, trying to figure out what to say. I didn't have to, though.

"What's going on, Harry?" Ron asked.
"I- what?"
"With you. Sneaking out of the dormitory practically every night, never spending any time with us... Have you got a girlfriend or something?"
"No!" I was stunned. I hadn't expected him to feel hurt by my disappearance; it's not like we don't spend time together during lessons, meals and at the weekend.

It seemed to have struck a nerve though, and when he looked up I could see the hurt in his eyes.

"Look, Harry... I don't want to say that you're lying again, like I did at the start of the year. That's not fair on you. But I just don't understand what else could be keeping you away from your best friends so often..."
I struggled to find the words. "It's so complicated..."

"I'm your best friend, surely you can tell me?" Ron looked at me for a second, and then suddenly his eyes went wide. "Are you taking extra Potions?"

I almost laughed with relief. I thought he had caught on for a second, but in hindsight it would've been a miracle if he had. He knows I'm terrible at Potions - why wouldn't I be getting extra tutoring? But I couldn't lie to him.

"Reckon I need it," I laughed nervously, and he did too. "But no, Ron. I'm really sorry, but it's too hard to explain... I will try at some point!" I promised as he rolled his eyes. "But you have to understand... I'm not ready yet."
"Not ready for what?" He asked, and then shook his head. "Never mind. I can wait."
"Thanks, Ron." I smiled appreciatively, and he punched me lightly in the arm before leaning back and continuing to read.

"So why are you reading Rita's rubbish?" I asked, referring to the magazine.
"She's still telling lies about Hermione and Krum... And you." He paused for a second.
"That's not what I need to tell you," I said quickly. "Hermione's NOT my girlfriend. I promise."
"I know," he nodded. "She's dating my brother." He pretended to throw up. "I just hope Skeeter doesn't hear about that - Fred hasn't told Mum yet."
"When is he going to?"
He shrugged. "Soon. He's just worried she's gonna be annoyed with him for taking Hermione away from you!"
I laughed. "I'll talk to her if I need to."
"Cheers, mate. Game of chess tonight?"

I hesitated for a split second, and then nodded. I had been a terrible friend recently, and I knew it was time to change that.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-