Chapter 32

HARRY POV

This year is just going from bad to worse. I can't believe I was looking forward to coming back to Hogwarts again; in reality, I should've expected all of this after last year.

Everything was changing, we could all feel it. There was something about the atmosphere at Hogwarts that was so solemn, so... nervous, that it was almost making me miss the Dursleys. At least they had believed me when I told them about Voldemort being back.

Even Dumbledore hasn't spoken to me, or even looked at me! I was so sure that he was on my side... And don't get me started on Draco! The asshole hasn't come to the Astronomy tower once since the start of the year. In fact, I haven't heard a word from him since before the third task last year. I don't know what I've done...

Eventually I was so sick of it that I tackled him in a deserted corridor and dragged him into a classroom. The look of guilt on his face did nothing to dissipate my anger, and I found myself sobbing furiously into my hands as I slid down the door.

"Harry." His voice was soft and concerned as he knelt down on the floor in front of me, taking one of my hands. His other hand gently brushed the tears off of my cheeks, and I automatically leant into his touch. As my breathing slowly returned to normal, his hand stayed on my face, cupping my chin and forcing me to look up at him. Then he leant forwards and slowly captured my lips with his own.

My Draco. I ran my fingers up his arm and to his neck, letting them nestle softly in his hair. My other hand remained entwined with his, and I breathed in his scent as we kissed. It hadn't occurred to me how much I had missed him until now.

And suddenly I pushed him away, standing up with my back against the door.

"No! That's not fair!" I cried. "You can't not talk to me for four months and then start kissing me and making me feel..." I trailed off, not sure how to end the sentence.
Draco looked guilty again, his gaze falling to his feet. "I'm sorry, Harry. I don't know what to say."
"I want an explanation!"
He paused, sitting down heavily on the table. "We can't do this anymore, Harry."

It was like a bombshell. I suppose I had subconsciously been seeing it coming, but it didn't stop the hollow, sick feeling in my stomach as I stared at him.

"I was being so selfish," he continued, still looking at the floor. "I was putting your best friends in danger, and Ron's family, my family... And now that the Dark Lord is back, even more so."
I nodded miserably, knowing he was completely right.

"I love this, Harry. I love... you. But we can't change who we are, and who we are stops us being, well, us. I'm so sorry to do this to you. I just don't know what else I can do. At least until all this is over..."
I nodded again, too scared to open my mouth. Draco stepped closer and linked our hands again, resting his forehead on mine.

"But when it is over," he whispered, "please come and find me." He pressed a final kiss to my lips and gave me a teary smile. I walked away from the door, keeping my back to him.
"Draco," I said softly before he opened the door. "I love you too."

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

RON POV

That bloody Umbridge woman! Determined to make everyone's lives a misery, she is! Especially Harry's.

Poor kid. He hasn't exactly sailed through life so far, and now it's got even worse for him.

I haven't exactly been as supportive as I should've been to be honest. Keeping all that information from him over the summer, abandoning him all the time for prefect duties and extra Quidditch practice... So much for being his best friend.

Mind you, he hasn't exactly been much of a best friend either. I know he's got a lot on his plate but the least he can do is appreciate mine and Hermione's help. He keeps snapping at us when we try to stick up for him, or ignoring our advice when he needs it most.

Hermione says there's only so much we can do to help him. We can't exactly influence the minds of the whole wizarding world to make them believe he's telling the truth. Can we? I'll ask Hermione...

Also, there's his little secret that he admitted to having last year. I still think he had a girlfriend, and I reckon they broke up over the summer or something because he's been in a foul mood ever since we've been back, and he hasn't disappeared off in the evenings for as long as he used to.

I would try to do the friendly thing and ask him about it, see if there's anything I can do to make him feel better. But at the moment, I think the only thing that would come of that would be a hard punch in the face for me. Maybe I'll just stay out of it...

Hermione did, however, manage to get him to agree to teach us some defence against the dark arts, because Umbridge is so useless. We had our first meeting in the Hogshead on our Hogsmeade weekend in October, and about twenty people showed up! It was great, apart from that little shit Zacharias Smith. If he has another go at Harry, I swear to Merlin I will put him in detention and make him scrub the floor of the Great Hall until his arm falls off.

But overall it was a success. Everyone signed Hermione's registration sheet, and we said we'd arrange the first session some other time.

And then what happened? Umbridge happened. The bitch went and suspended all student run teams, organisations, blah blah blah. The whole school went mental - Quidditch teams had to ask to be reformed, chess club had to organise a teacher to monitor each session, and our defence sessions weren't allowed.

But then Hermione stepped and said, "we're going to do it anyway." She had a mischievous gleam in her eye as we discussed various places that we could practise with the twins, Neville, Ginny and Luna. "I mean, it's quite fun isn't it. Breaking the rules."
"Who are you and what have you done with Hermione Granger?" I grinned, and everyone chuckled as we headed back up to the common room.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

A/N- Hey guys! This chapter made me so sad to write but it had to be done... :( on a happier note, Trust Me has over 60,000 reads and I now have 200 followers! You guys are so amazing and I genuinely only keep writing this story because of you, so thank you all so much! Happy Reading :-)