Chapter 1 - Second Year

A/N - Hello! So, the first chapter! It's a bit short, but hopefully they will get longer as the story continues. Enjoy! :-)

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HARRY POV

"Love the pickled toads, Potter!" I spun around to see who had spoken. It was Malfoy, of course.

"Shut up, Malfoy," I hissed.

"Ooh, touchy!" he sneered, deliberately taking the seat behind me in potions. He continued to torment me long after Snape came in and set us our task.

"You know, Potter." I could hear the amusement in Malfoy's voice. I tried my best to ignore it, viciously slicing my scarab beetles into a fine powder. "I don't know what the Weaslette sees in you. She probably only likes you because you're the 'Boy Who Lived'. She wouldn't look twice at you if you were just her brother's best friend. You were at the Weasel's house over the summer weren't you, Potter? I thought you smelt funny on the first day back - imagine the germs you caught from their hovel. I wonder if -"

But he was cut off by Ron launching himself over his cauldron and punching him squarely in the face. I immediately grabbed Ron's arms, holding him back before Snape spotted us.

Too late.

"Potter and Weasley, fighting again?" he swept over to us and his dark eyes seemed to glare right through me. "Go and clear up, Draco," he said silkily, and Malfoy all but strutted out of the classroom, standing on my foot as he went.

"He insulted my family, Professor." Ron looked furious.

"Fighting will not be tolerated no matter how many insults are spoken, Weasley," Snape snapped. The corners of his mouth curved into a smirk. "Let's see... ten points each from Gryffindor I think, and detention with me, 8 o'clock this evening. Dear me, I wonder how many more transgressions your record can take, Potter? Not even your father had this many-"

"Don't bring my father into this, Professor." I spat the last word.

"I'll do whatever I want, Potter," Snape retorted maliciously. "You seem to be forgetting how this school works. I am the teacher, and you are the student. Now shut up and get on with your work or it'll be another fifty points." And with that he swept over to have a go at poor Neville, who had managed to melt ANOTHER cauldron.

I was fuming. My hatred for Snape boiled in my stomach, and when I glanced across at Ron he was breathing like he had just run a marathon. For the rest of the double period he sat, stewing, completely forgetting about his potion.

I vaguely heard Hermione trying to talk to us at dinner, but Ron was still seething and I was slightly distracted.

I knew it was stupid to take anything Malfoy said seriously, but I couldn't help but see some sense in what he said. Other than Ron and Hermione, had anyone ever taken any interest in me besides my reputation? Not really. People either treated me like dirt - like the Dursleys, Snape, Malfoy... or they just saw me as this hero of the wizarding world and didn't bother to look any further. Would anyone ever look at me for who I AM instead of who I'm EXPECTED to be?

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HERMIONE POV

I gave up trying to make conversation with Harry and Ron at dinner. Ron was still irritable, stabbing his jacket potato moodily with his fork, and Harry was just staring blankly into space.

I poked him sharply as I saw who he was looking at. He started and turned to look at me, and I muttered, "stop staring at Ginny."

Inwardly, I was laughing. Ginny had noticed Harry watching her and was blushing furiously.

I do love Ginny. It was great when she started at Hogwarts because no matter how much I like Harry and Ron, it was nice to finally have a girl to talk to. Parvati and Lavender are practically joined at the hip, and the others barely acknowledge my existence. It shouldn't hurt as much as it does - frankly, books are way more interesting than people anyway. But it was hard, when Harry and Ron had had each other since that first day on the train, not to feel like an outsider to their friendship. Ginny was the first person who took an active interest in being my friend, seeking me out at mealtimes and in the common room, and I was so grateful.

As Ginny and I grew closer, she thought it safe to admit she had a crush on Harry. She insisted that it wasn't because he was THE Harry Potter - she told me how kind he had been to her when she started Hogwarts - how he had helped her find her classes, walked with her back to the common room when she got lost, and even let her join in with his and Ron's quidditch sessions sometimes.

She did say she didn't send him the Valentine though, which was interesting.

I told Ginny that I was sure she had a chance with Harry. He was just too oblivious when it came to relationships and everything, but he would get there.

Eventually.