Chapter 10 - Summer

A/N - So hey guys... This took forever and I'm so sorry :( I hope the length makes up for it a bit - again I'm really sorry. Happy Reading! :-)

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

DRACO POV

To Draco,
How are you? I'm bored. Dudley keeps hogging the downstairs TVs and if I try to watch the upstairs one he tells on me and Vernon's vein starts throbbing. Instead I've been practising playing chess, and I reckon I might be able to beat you when we get back to school!

How are you doing with all of the homework? The Dursleys locked all of my school books and stuff in the cupboard under the stairs, but I just picked the lock and I do it while they're asleep.

I hope you're coping without Dobby. What's it like having to tie your own shoes for once?

Harry

I laughed as I finished Harry's letter. Beat me at chess? Not likely. And tie my own shoes! The cheek! Grinning, I began to write my reply.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HARRY POV

To Harry,
I'm alright. I'm bored too. Living out in the middle of nowhere is only fun if you have siblings. And I don't even have one of those TV things! Don't be daft, you wouldn't beat the Giant Squid at a game of chess.

I never do my homework, Potter. And I certainly don't do it during the holiday! I'm not THAT bored! I'd rather take my broom to the local village and terrify Muggles. Much more satisfying.

You cheeky bugger! As if I'd tie my own shoe laces! Father employed another house elf after you made him sack Dobby, so I'm sorted there.

Do you reckon it's too risky to send Hedwig here? She's quite easy to recognise, and Father won't be happy if he finds your letters.

Draco

I snorted with laughter. I can totally imagine Draco being just as lazy as he sounded in his letter, and it doesn't surprise me at all that he loves terrifying Muggles.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

DRACO POV

To Draco,
You lazy git! I learnt to tie my shoelaces when I was four! And Dudley still can't do it...

I wish I could take my broom out for a while - the Dursleys would personally kick me out of the house if I even tried. It's alright though, whenever they go out I can watch TV, and I've got my homework to do.

I agree, she's too easily recognisable, but I haven't got a way of getting another one so you'll have to send one of yours.

Harry

I felt quite sorry for Harry; his relatives sounded absolutely terrible. I wasn't sure what I could do to make him feel better though - it seemed as though these Muggles wouldn't be very pleased if I showed up at their house. Instead, I simply began to write a reply.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HARRY POV

The day after my birthday, I was eating some of the birthday cake that my friends sent me, when I heard a tapping on my window. I was surprised to see that Draco had sent back an unfamiliar owl as well as Hedwig, and they carried a fairly large parcel between them. When they landed outside my window, I let them in and Hedwig seemed all too happy to give me the parcel and retire to her cage to sleep. After giving the other owl a drink, I opened my letter first.

To Harry,

I'm sorry about your relatives. I'd hate it if I had to live with Muggles. Especially if it meant no Quidditch! Of course, it's much more fun if you have someone to play with...

Father almost discovered your last letter at dinner yesterday. Luckily, he got distracted when the new house elf burnt his steak, so I managed to slide it underneath my plate before he saw it properly.

I'm really sorry if it's late, but I've sent you something for your birthday. I hope you like it.

Draco

I was just about to open the small envelope that came with the parcel when I heard Vernon call, "POTTER!" from downstairs. I rolled my eyes and abandoned to parcel on my bed. I took my time descending the stairs, and found him glaring at me (nothing new there) as I entered the kitchen.

"You called?" I asked pleasantly, and his beady eyes twitched.
"Aunt Marge is coming to stay with us, and I expect you to be on your best behaviour. No... Funny business," he snarled.

I didn't even bother to conceal my groan. Aunt Marge? She was Vernon's sister and she absolutely hated me. Every time she came she made snide comments about me and my parents, and she showered Dudley with gifts, happily rubbing it in my face that I didn't have any. Although one year she did give me a packet of dog biscuits. The thought of her staying with the Dursleys made me sick.

"Don't you groan at me, Potter!" Vernon growled. "You must act normal while she's here, otherwise..." He continued to rant at me but my mind was wandering elsewhere. My present from Draco was still waiting upstairs, and I was excited to see what it was. I didn't even know he knew when my birthday was, so the parcel was a nice surprise.

"Are you listening to me, Potter?" Vernon fumed, and I blinked.
"That depends," I said.
"On what?" He said through gritted teeth.
"Were you talking about something that interests me?" He opened his mouth, looking confused, and my mouth twitched. "Didn't think so. I'll be going then."

I headed back up to my bedroom and opened the little envelope.

Harry,

I didn't know what you would like, but I reckon we can have great fun with this when we go back to school!

Draco

I tore open the parcel and grinned when I saw a pack of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, a huge chocolate frog, Fizzing Whizzbees and a dozen sugar quills. I rolled my eyes, still smiling, when I noticed underneath a box labelled "wizard's chess". Trust Draco...