Chapter 31 - Fifth Year

HARRY POV

This time as the carriages pulled up to Hogwarts, I didn't feel like I was home. People had been pointing and whispering for the whole train journey, and a couple had already made snarky comments about how I was losing it, and that there was a cell in Azkaban with my name on it.

Sirius had shown me a couple of Daily Prophet articles about me, but I hadn't realised just how bad everyone's reactions would be. Not only towards me, towards Dumbledore as well. That was clear by Seamus' outburst when I spoke to him in the common room.

Combined with the appearance of that witch from the Ministry at the feast, Seamus (and everyone else), and the fact that I hadn't yet seen Draco since we got back, I went to bed in an incredibly foul mood.

The next morning wasn't any better. I received just as many, if not more, disgusted and nervous looks at breakfast. It was like people thought I was suddenly going to flip out and start hexing everyone in sight. If they kept this up, I just might.

Lessons started with History of Magic, followed by Potions, which did nothing to make me feel better. Aside from the small sympathetic smile I received from Draco, he didn't try to communicate in any other way, and he left the classroom pretty quickly at the end.

Needless to say, I didn't feel like going down to lunch.

"You need to eat, Harry!" Hermione sighed.
"I'm aware of that, Hermione, thanks."

I looked up to see her and Ron sharing a look. Ron shrugged and said, "he could always go and get something from the kitchens. Dobby won't let him starve."
Hermione looked horrified. "But they've JUST cooked a meal for the entire school!"
"They'll have extras, Hermione..."

I ignored their bickering and left the common room. Seamus was just coming in, and he glared at me, but I ignored him. I was not in the mood.

Why was this happening to me? I thought as I stormed down the stairs. I had had plenty of attention last year, I didn't need MORE this year.

"Harry Potter! Dobby is delighted to see you, sir!" The house elf cried as soon as I came through the portrait hole into the kitchens.
"You know what, Dobby? I'm delighted to see you, too."
Dobby beamed at me, and I suddenly felt far more relaxed. "How can Dobby help you, sir?"
"I was wondering if I could have some of the leftovers from lunch?"

Dobby nodded and immediately a huge tray full of all kinds of sandwiches, pastries and a variety of crisps flew towards me, carried by four tiny elves.

"Thank you guys. I don't fancy going into the Great Hall today," I sighed, helping myself to a pumpkin pasty.
Dobby's face suddenly dropped. "Dobby heard of the return of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, sir. And Dobby thinks the Daily Prophet is being very mean to Harry Potter. Dobby is very sorry." He gently patted my hand with his own.
"Thanks, Dobby. I'm glad you believe me."
"Dobby believes everything Harry Potter says, sir! Because Harry Potter is not a liar!"
I smiled as he beamed at me. "Thank you. Next time I go to Hogsmeade, I'll buy you a couple of pairs of socks."
"Harry Potter is so kind! Dobby now has fifty seven socks, sir!"
"No way! How do you fit them all onto your feet?"
"Dobby sometimes wears them on his ears too, sir," the house elf said seriously, and I almost spat out my pumpkin juice.
"Well I better go, Dobby. Thanks for the food."
"Any time, sir! Dobby will always be here for Harry Potter!"

Feeling much better, I began to head up to the second floor for my first Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson with that old hag from the Ministry. Joy.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HERMIONE POV

Harry's got a bunch of detentions already. He just couldn't keep his mouth shut in Defence Against the Dark Arts; he had to get into an argument with a Ministry official.