Chapter 33

HARRY POV

Dear Padfoot,

I hope you're alright. It's starting to get colder here. Winter is definitely on the way. In spite of being back at Hogwarts, I feel more alone than ever. I know you of all people will understand.

I paused, unsure of what to say next. I didn't want Sirius to think I was just being a whiny child; if anything he has more of a right to complain than me. I folded the letter up and tucked it into my bedside drawers.

I hadn't been lying. Regardless of how bored and moody Sirius was probably getting stuck in Grimmauld place, I would stay anywhere that wasn't Hogwarts at the moment.

The only thing that is keeping me sane is the DA. That's what we decided to name it. Dumbledore's Army, because Dumbledore is the only person that Voldemort fears. The meetings have been pretty regular, thanks to Hermione's genius Galleons, and I have been distracting myself from everything else by planning what we are going to do at the next session.

Not only do I feel like I am helping everyone to be more prepared for what is to come, but it's extremely comforting that so many people WANT to be prepared. It's a sign that some people do believe me, and are willing to let me teach them how to defend themselves. I was incredibly proud, too, when I saw how much progress everyone had made in the short time between the start of the year and Christmas.

"So this was our last session before the holidays," I said loudly, as everyone gathered in front of me in the Room of Requirement. "We won't see each other until after Christmas, so just keep practising, and..." I gave them a genuine smile, "well done. You've all worked so hard and made so much progress. Have a good holiday."

I felt my cheeks burn slightly as they gave me a round of applause, and refused to meet Hermione's eyes as she beamed knowingly.

"Well done, Harry!" She practically squealed as we headed back to the common room afterwards.
I shrugged. "I just tell them what to do."
"And they do it!" Ron slapped me on the back. "You're practically a proper teacher!"

I went to bed in a good mood that night. I felt like I had actually achieved something for the first time since we had been back, and it was Christmas; I couldn't be miserable with the thought of seeing Sirius in a few days...

I was gliding along a cold stone corridor... it was dark yet colours and shapes seemed to be moving around me... I twisted my head to look around the corridor... it had looked empty, but now I saw a man, his head hanging. He was alive but drowsy... sitting in front of a door at the end of the corridor...

I wanted to bite him, but I had more important work to do... until the man stirred, drawing his wand and aiming it at me... I reared up and struck once, twice, three times, my long fangs piercing the man's body. Blood was splattering everywhere as he slumped back onto the floor.....

"Harry! Wake up!"

I jerked awake, panting and sweating, to see Ron standing right beside me. My scar was burning so much that the pain was blinding me. I opened my mouth to try and speak, only to lean over the side of my bed and proceed to vomit all over the floor.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

Dumbledore's portkey took us straight to Grimmauld Place, and I immediately sank to the floor. I was exhausted. A pair of arms wrapped around me and gently lifted me up, guiding me to a chair. I looked around hazily, and smiled when I saw Sirius' concerned face inches from my own.

"Easy, Harry," he said softly. "Are you alright? What happened?"
"I'd like to hear this myself," Fred said, and I jumped. The Weasleys were gathered behind Sirius, staring at me like they had never seen me before.
"It was..." I began; this was even worse than telling Dumbledore and McGonagall. "I had a kind of... vision..."