Chapter 22

"CONSTANT VIGILANCE!" Moody barked, and everyone jumped. We had all been watching him in awe, amazed at his casual performance of an Unforgivable curse in the middle of the classroom. "Anyone know another illegal curse?" I was surprised when Neville put his hand up tentatively, and so was Moody by the looks of his one eye. The other swivelled terrifyingly as he walked over the Neville's desk.

I, along with the rest of the class, watched him in silence. My gaze drifted over to Draco's desk, and our eyes met briefly. I offered him a small smile, but my heart sank when he looked down quickly.

I understood, of course. We hadn't parted in the best way over the summer; Lucius was to thank for that. But I had hoped that Draco would at least TALK to me when we got back, tell me what was going on, whether he was ok. It was killing me, not knowing if there was anything I could do to help.

"AVADA KEDAVRA!" There was a flash of blinding green light and a rushing sound, as though something invisible was soaring through the air - instantaneously the spider rolled over onto its back, unmarked, but unmistakably dead.

A few people let out stifled cries, but I just stared at the spider, numb with shock. I had seen that green light before. It had been present in my nightmares for as long as I could remember.

"Not nice," Moody continued, swiping the spider off my desk and onto the floor. "Not pleasant. And there's no counter-curse. Only one known person has ever survived it, and he's sitting right in front of me."

My cheeks burned as Moody, along with the rest of the class, turned and stared at me. So that's how my parents died...

At the end of the lesson, the whole class was talking excitedly about Moody as we left his room. They talked about the lesson like some spectacular show, but I hadn't found it particularly entertaining. Neither had Hermione.

"Hurry up!" she said tensely, dragging us over to where Neville was standing alone in the corridor. She began to talk to him, but my attention was elsewhere as Draco, Blaise and Pansy left the classroom. Pansy was clutching a newspaper, and when she saw me, her eyes narrowed.

"Weasley!" She suddenly yelled. "Your dad's in the paper!" She began to walk towards us. Draco tried to drag her the other way, but she shook him off, and he ended up following her reluctantly. "And there's a picture, Weasley!" She continued, smirking at me and holding it up to us. "Your mother could do with losing a bit of weight, couldn't she?"

I gaped at Pansy. What was going on? I wouldn't say she had been NICE to us since Draco and I became friends, but she certainly hadn't been horrible... I glanced at Draco, but he was looking nervously around the corridor. A group of people had gathered now, watching the scene with interest.

Ron was shaking with fury, and everyone was staring at him. "Get stuffed, Pansy," he snapped.
"C'mon, Ron," I sighed."
"Oh yeah, you stayed with them this summer didn't you, Potter?" Draco suddenly butt in. "Tell me, is his mother really that porky, or is it just the picture?"
I grabbed Ron to hold him back, staring at Draco. Normally I would assume he was just covering for us because of everyone else, but something was off today. Besides, he never makes a dig at Ron, because he knows he still doesn't like him.

Draco briefly met my gaze, and I could see a hint of guilt in his eyes before he turned and started to walk away. But I was angry. Angry because he wasn't speaking to me. Angry because I didn't know what was going on. And especially angry because suddenly he thought is was ok to disrespect my best friend's mother.

"You know YOUR mother, Malfoy?" I emphasised the use of his surname. "That expression she's got, like she's got dung under her nose? Has she always looked like that, or was it just because you were with her?"