Chapter 59

DRACO POV

We got back to the Great Hall to find total chaos, with multiple battles going on and dust and flashes of light making it impossible to recognise the fighters. As far as we could tell, though, the sheer number of students and teachers and families and members of the Order was making it a losing battle for the Death Eaters, and one by one they all seemed to be folding under the crowds.

Merlin knows whether Harry was here or elsewhere, but I was determined to find him.

We ran madly through the crowd, throwing curses over our shoulders and dodging all manner of spells as we went. Sirius spotted Remus being slowly backed into a corner by Fenrir Greyback and rushed over to help him, along with Fred and George Weasley, and as they ran past, I spotted my delightful aunt battling Ginny Weasley, who was stubbornly holding her own.

"Oh, HELL NO!" Ron roared, raising his wand and running to help her. I followed too, throwing a Stunning spell straight at Bellatrix's head. She moved just in time, turning to look at me.

"Oh Draco..." she hissed, chuckling as she began to fight all three of us. "You've chosen the losing side..."

"NOT MY CHILDREN YOU BITCH!" Molly Weasley suddenly pushed between me and Ginny, firing spell after spell at my aunt. Bellatrix quickly stopped chuckling, her smile turning into a snarl as Mrs Weasley showed her no mercy. "Get back! She's mine!" she yelled at us as we tried to help her.

"What will happen to your children after I kill you?" Bellatrix taunted, almost dancing to avoid the spells coming towards her.

"YOU – WILL – NEVER – TOUCH – THEM – AGAIN!" Molly roared. "AND NOT HARRY, NOT DRACO, NOT NEVILLE..."

Bellatrix laughed, and suddenly a green flash of light hit her squarely in the chest. She toppled backwards, the laugh frozen to her face, and she was dead.

A scream echoed across the Hall, and Minerva McGonagall, Arthur Weasley and Kingsley Shacklebolt suddenly flew towards us as though blasted back by an explosion. The scream and the blast had come from Voldemort, a sign of his rage at Bellatrix's death. He turned his wand to Molly, eyes bulging with rage, when a Shield Charm caught him and everyone else off guard, and the whole Hall fell silent.

"You won't be killing anyone else tonight."

My heart leapt as I looked around for the source of the familiar voice, and saw Harry making his way through the centre of the crowd to stand face to face with Lord Voldemort.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HARRY POV

I stared at Tom Riddle's lifeless body, clasping both Draco's wand and the Elder wand in my hands. It was over.

There was a moment of shocked silence, before the Hall erupted with cheers and screams of excitement, joy and pure relief. I was suddenly surrounded by people, all reaching to grab me and hug me and congratulate me... but for the life of me I couldn't tell you who was there. My mind felt strangely disconnected from my body, the sounds of joy fading away as the gravity of our victory sunk in. So many people came and shook my hand and hugged me that I lost track of time, eventually sinking down onto a bench next to Luna. She squeezed my hand and smiled.

"I'd want some peace and quiet, if it was me," she said softly, looking around at the crowds of people still wanting to talk to or even just look at me.

"I'd love some," I smiled back weakly.

"I'll distract them," she said. "Use your Cloak. And go and find Draco."

I stared at her in shock for a moment. Luna was far more intuitive than any of us had ever really given her credit for. "...thank you." was all I could find in response, and she squeezed my hand once more before turning around and shouting, "ooh look, a Blibbering Humdinger!"