Chapter 23

DRACO POV

I don't know what to do. I'm so lost. It feels like everything that I'd been relying on to get me through my day has gone.

At first I was so upset, so alone and so angry that I hoped Harry felt as awful as I did, and he would eventually come and beg to be my friend again. Not that he would have to beg for long. But I soon realised how selfish that was, and if I really cared about him, I would leave him to continue his life which, in the long term, will probably be much better without me in it.

And I do care about him. So much. Even though I had noticed how much I relied on our evenings in the Astronomy tower, I had never considered just how much Harry had come to mean to me. How much I loved being with him. Until he wasn't there.

Every evening for the last two months, I've snuck up to the tower in the hope that he would be there. But my father's threats must've scared him enough to keep him away because he hasn't shown up once. I don't blame him.

Of course I still see him around the corridors, and every time we cross paths my heart skips a beat. The small smile that we share goes unnoticed to anyone else, but it means the world to me.

What the hell has gotten into me? Harry has turned me into this pathetic, soppy wuss with actual feelings and crap. I need to stop.

On the thirty-first of October, the whole school was buzzing with excitement after the arrival of the other wizarding schools and the official beginning of the Triwizard tournament. Everyone who wanted to take part had twenty-four hours to put their name in the goblet of fire, before the Hallowe'en feast in the evening. Well not everyone. Anyone underage can't take part whether they want to or not. I know Ron's twin brothers are desperate to take part, and I'm sure Harry and Ron would love to try it. It's not like they haven't seen a fair amount of danger already. I wasn't going to enter. Hell, I wasn't going to risk my life for a bag of Galleons and "eternal glory". Far too much effort, thank you.

I admit that, by the start of the feast, I was getting a little bit excited. I was looking forward to finding out who the Hogwarts champion would be.

As we ate, I could practically feel the impatience radiating off of everyone, and I think Dumbledore could too, because his eyes were twinkling as he looked around the room. At long last, the golden plates cleared themselves as he stood up.

"Well, the Goblet is almost ready to make its decision," he smiled. "Now, when the champions' names have been called, please come to the staff table and go into the Trophy Room to await further instructions."

He took out his wand and swept it into the air, causing most of the candles to go out so we were plunged into semi-darkness. The Goblet shone brightly in the gloom while everyone watched impatiently.

Suddenly, the flames turned red. Sparks flew from the cup, and then a tongue of flame shot into the air, taking a burnt piece of parchment with it. Everyone gasped. Dumbledore caught it and called, "the Champion for Durmstrang... Victor Krum!"

Big surprise... I thought sarcastically, applauding along with everyone else. Krum left the room, and seconds later, the flames in the goblet turned red again. "The Champion for Beauxbatons... Fleur Delacour!"

A beautiful girl stood up from the Ravenclaw table. I snorted when I sw the girls around her crying and comforting one another because they hadn't been chosen. Chill, it's just a game.

She vanished into the Trophy room and the goblet turned red for the final time... Hogwarts' turn. Dumbledore caught the parchment and read, "the Hogwarts Champion... Cedric Diggory!"

The Hufflepuffs all screamed and cheered, stamping their feet on the floor. I rolled my eyes at Blaise. That pansy representing our school? Who thought that would be a good idea?