Chapter 18

A/N - Hey guys! This update was TERRIBLE, and it's simply because the weeks leading up to Christmas are the CRAZIEST in the whole year. I'm so sorry, I hope you've all had a wonderful December, whether you celebrate anything or not, and I hope this makes up for my awful updating. Happy Reading! :-)

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HERMIONE POV

"Who the bloody hell sent you THAT?" Draco gasped the second he climbed through the portrait hole. "You lucky duck."
Harry avoided my eyes and shrugged, a protective hand on his brand new Firebolt. "Merry Christmas. What are you doing here?"

"Hermione offered," Draco nodded at me, "I'm the only Slytherin who stayed. Ooh, mince pies!"

I laughed as he grabbed one off the table, going back to my armchair by the fire and reading my new book about werewolves: Hairy Snout, Human Heart.

"Where's Weaselbee?" Draco asked, making himself comfortable on the sofa.
"He's sulking because of Hermione's cat," Harry said distractedly, and Draco rolled his eyes.
"He needs to grow up. There are more important things in life," Draco stated wisely, "for example, mince pies." He added, stuffing another one into his mouth.

I had just finished a particularly interesting chapter in my book, How To Identify A Werewolf, when Ron reappeared downstairs, looking much more cheerful. His smile dropped, however, when he spotted Draco in his armchair.

"Well, Christmas is ruined."

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

RON POV

We sat in the common room for a couple of hours. There was an awkward feeling about us, and I couldn't tell whether it was because of mine and Hermione's argument, or the mysterious Firebolt that Hermione obviously disapproved of.

It wasn't a good atmosphere. While I ate a couple of mince pies and attempted to build a house with my Exploding Snap cards, Hermione sat quietly in the chair, glaring at the broomstick and reading a book on werewolves. She probably wants to get ahead in case Lupin is away again.

But worse than that was the animated conversation coming from the mat by the fireplace. Having given up trying to make Hermione and I speak to each other, Harry and Draco had moved away from us and were using Harry's broomstick servicing kit to examine and polish every inch of the Firebolt. They were talking quietly, laughing their heads off and shoving each other playfully. Anger was boiling in my stomach as I watched them, so I leapt off of my chair, knocking over the house of cards so suddenly that it burst into flames, and stormed up to the dormitories.

This day couldn't get any worse.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

I was wrong. At lunchtime, Dumbledore decided it would be a good idea for the staff and students to sit together at one long table. And of course, I ended up stuck between Hermione, who still wasn't talking to me after the Scabbers incident, and Malfoy, who never talks to me anyway. Joy.

Luckily, the food was delicious as always and the crackers made for great entertainment. I almost spat out my pumpkin juice when Dumbledore and Snape shared one, which exploded to reveal a vulture hat exactly like the one from Lupin's Boggart lesson. I caught Harry's eye and we both grinned.

I was feeling much happier after lunch, so much so that I didn't care when Malfoy came back up to the common room with us. We spent the rest of the afternoon outside, having snowball fights and helping Hagrid make a snow Hippogriff for Buckbeak.

"You prat!" I yelled at Harry after he hit me squarely in the face with a snowball. He snorted with laughter and ran away. Suddenly he stopped, and I seized my chance. Gathering some snow in the gloved hands, I snuck up behind him. I stopped when I saw that he was talking to the small first year who Dumbledore had called... Eric? Derek? The poor kid looked positively terrified that Harry Potter was speaking to him.

"Do you want to join in?" Harry was asking, and the boy nodded shyly. "Come on then. Guys?!" He yelled, turning round, and I hurled the snowball at his glasses, laughing evilly. He wiped it off, glaring at me, and was just gathering some snow to pay me back when another snowball came from behind him and landed straight in my open mouth. Spitting it out, I looked past Harry and my eyes widened when I saw the first year looking at me innocently, an evil glint in his eye.

I could hear laughter behind me, and when I turned around I saw Hermione and Malfoy practically rolling on the floor, clutching their stomachs.

"Its on..." I muttered, scooping some more snow up to get my revenge.