Chapter 46 - Summer

HARRY POV

"Shit!" I cursed loudly when something sharp cut my hand as I dug around in my suitcase. I quickly went to clean it up, before coming back to search for the object. It was a broken shard of a two-way mirror that I had forgotten existed, and a smirking face now stared up at me from inside it.

"Language," my godfather chuckled.
"Hey, Sirius. You found your mirror!"
"Kreacher stole it," he grinned. "Big fan of shiny things, remember?"

"How are you doing?" He looked at me carefully, trying to identify my mood. But I kept my expression as blank as I could.

"I'm fine," I nodded, continuing to empty all of the rubbish from my suitcase. It was weird to think that it had contained every possession I had over the last six years. Now I was emptying it properly for the first time ever.

Sirius didn't speak for a moment, but I could still feel him watching me. I knew he wouldn't try to make me talk if I didn't want to, but I could tell that he was worried.

"How's the packing going?" He changed the subject.
"You would not believe how much stuff is in this suitcase," I laughed. "I've been sorting through it all morning. How about you?"
He shrugged. "Same old. Although I'm staying with the Weasleys now," he grinned, and I raised an eyebrow. "After Dumbledore died, everyone he told the address of Grimmauld Place to became Secret Keepers. Because there are around twenty people, that makes it much easier for the Death Eaters to corner someone and get the information from them."

I nodded, remembering how the Fidelius Charm worked. "But won't Snape have told the Death Eaters the address by now?"
"Mad-Eye set up a few curses against Snape so that if he does manage to get inside, hopefully they will Bind his tongue to stop him from talking about the place, but we can't be sure. It's too dangerous to use it as Headquarters now, so we've moved to the Burrow instead."
"And what's it like living there?"
Sirius rolled his eyes. "Molly doesn't approve. She's convinced that I'm going to lead her children astray," he grinned cheekily.
"You? Never," I chuckled. "So you'll be there when I come to stay then?"
"I'm actually coming with the others when they pick you up!"
My heart leapt. "You're coming to get me?" But then I frowned. "But you might get caught..."
"Everyone is in the same boat at this point, Harry. Everyone who is coming to get you will be in danger. Don't feel guilty though!" He added, as though reading my mind. "They've all volunteered, and you won't say anything to change their minds."
I nodded uncertainly. "And you'll be at Bill and Fleur's wedding?"
"Snuffles will be," he winked, and I smiled gratefully.

There was a moment of silence while I continued emptying the suitcase.

"So... where are you going?" Sirius asked, and I closed my eyes. I knew he was going to ask sooner or later.
"I can't tell you..." I said slowly. "I'm really sorry. I'm doing this for Dumbledore. And he made me promise not to tell anyone."
"Anyone other than Ron or Hermione?" There was a hint of bitterness in his voice, and it didn't help to relieve the guilt I felt.
I shrugged. "It's not that he doesn't trust anyone else... It's just... I have to be the one to do this."
"The Chosen One," Sirius smiled tightly. "I trust you, Harry. I trust you to know what you're getting into. But please be careful. Keep yourself safe. And call your godfather!" He scolded jokingly, pointing his finger at me.
I laughed. "I'm taking this with me," I said, gesturing to the mirror, "so I'll talk to you as much as I can. I promise."

"That'll do for me," he smiled. "I had better go anyway, Molly is asking me to lay the table." He rolled his eyes again.
"If you're going to eat, you have to do your bit," I teased him. "See you soon, Sirius."
"Later, mate."

I placed the broken piece of mirror in the front pocket of my rucksack, along with the other bits and pieces I was taking with me.

Most of the contents of my case was now stacked in the corner of my room, including my robes, my cauldron and most of my textbooks. I was only taking the most important items: my Muggle clothing, Invisibility cloak, potion making kit, certain books, my photo album from Hagrid, a stack of letters and my wand.