Chapter 50

HARRY POV

I tried to yank my arm away from the Snatcher who held me, cursing myself and my stupid mouth for getting us into this mess.

All I did was say his name. Ron warned us about the Taboo, but I was frustrated and it sort of slipped out. The Snatchers were through the protective enchantments in seconds, and when they caught a glimpse of what could have been my scar, they immediately took us with them to (of all places) Malfoy Manor.

We were waiting outside the tall gates leading onto the grounds, when a female voice spoke from the darkness.

"What is this?"
"We're here to see the Dark Lord," one of the Snatchers said. "We've caught Harry Potter. I know 'is face is swollen, ma'am, but if you look close you can see 'is scar!"

Narcissa Malfoy came out of the shadows to inspect my face, and I held her gaze firmly as she looked at me. There was something in her eyes - uncertainty? Fear? Sympathy? Was Narcissa SORRY that we had been caught?

"We can't be sure it's him," she said coldly. "You heard the Dark Lord's instructions. We are not to call him back unless we are certain we have the boy."

She turned as if to go back inside, but Greyback called her again.

"Wait! Ain't Draco 'ome for Easter? Can't 'e look at 'im?" He asked, and Narcissa paused in her tracks. "You can't turn us away, ma'am. Whether we have the boy or not, this 'ere is the Mudblood who was travelling with 'im, and we'll need to take 'er to the Ministry."

Narcissa didn't move, and just for a split second I wondered whether she didn't WANT to bring us inside. But then she was turning back and, with a flick of her wand, the gates opened to allow us inside.

As we walked towards the large front doors, my heart started pounding at the thought of going inside. Draco was in there. As were a number of Death Eaters, and possibly even You-Know-Who himself once they realised it was me. I didn't know what scared me the most.

But as soon as we entered the dining room, I knew which it was. Draco was standing by the fireplace, his hands shaking slightly as we were dragged into the room. The anger I felt when I first caught sight of him vanished as soon as I was able to look at him properly. He looked TERRIBLE.

He was paler than I had ever seen him, with a slight grey tinge to his thin, gaunt face. There were dark circles under his eyes and he moved cautiously, as though nursing a broken rib. When our eyes met, all I could see was fear.

"Well, Draco?" Lucius snapped from his armchair. Draco jumped. "Is it him?'

It seemed to take everything Draco had to force himself to look at me. He scanned my face briefly, and I knew he knew it was me. Of course he knew.

"I can't... I can't be sure."
"Look at him carefully! Go closer!"

Draco hesitated, and his father got up, reaching for his son's wrist and muttering in his ear. Draco visibly tensed at the action.

"If we are the ones to hand over Harry Potter to the Dark Lord, everything will be forgiven," Lucius was saying, and Draco's eyes fluttered closed for a second.

"What's wrong with his face?" He asked, still not getting any closer.
"Stung by bees?" Greyback suggested.
"Looks more like a Stinging Jinx to me," Bellatrix suggested, having just appeared in the doorway. She took Hermione's wand from one of the Snatchers and performed Priori Incantatem. She chuckled as her suspicions were confirmed. "Caught you," she grinned evilly at Hermione. "Is it him, Draco?"

"I don't know," Draco said stiffly, looking everywhere but at me.
"We must be certain, Lucius," Narvussa said quietly. "We cannot summon the Dark Lord if we are not completely sure."
"It is him, Cissy!" Her sister cried. "This is the Mudblood! There is the Weasley boy - this MUST be Potter! I shall summon-"