Chapter 2

RON POV

I couldn't believe that Ginny had sent that ridiculous Valentine to Harry. I TOLD her you don't go out with your brother's best friend! Harry's not interested in her anyway. It's completely obvious. I did tell Ginny that, but she just told me to mind my own business and then stormed off.

She's too young for a relationship anyway. Who wants a relationship when they're eleven? I definitely didn't... Still don't in fact.

It had been quite strange having Ginny at Hogwarts. She was very independent, only occasionally sitting with us, Fred, George and Percy because she was far too busy off being sociable and making friends. She even seemed to be friendly with some of the Slytherins; I was horrified when I once saw her helping MALFOY of all people find a book in the library, and told her so, insisting that he was horrible and didn't deserve her help. She had simply shrugged and said, "you're not exactly nice to him either."
"Well that's completely beside the point!" I had spluttered, but she had simply rolled her eyes and walked away.

She wasn't wrong - we were rude to Malfoy but ONLY when he deserved it. Which was always. Especially when he came after my family like today.

That evening at 8 o'clock, Harry and I reluctantly said goodbye to Hermione and made our way to the dungeons for our detention. For three whole hours Snape made us write, "I will control my temper and never cause a fight again," while he constantly fired remarks about Harry's father and 'Weasley, Saint Potter's sidekick'. It took all of my willpower to not stand up and punch Snape right in that stupid greasy nose.

By the time we got back to Gryffindor Tower, Hermione had gone to bed and the common room was deserted. Harry and I got changed in silence and said goodnight.

I flopped onto my four poster and closed my eyes, listening to Neville's snores. I couldn't stop thinking about what Snape had said about me being Harry's sidekick. Harry was my best friend - surely he thought of me as more than that? But the more I thought about it, the more it seemed true. I always hang around with him, I always go with him everywhere. I even willingly followed him down that trapdoor last year. I risked my life to follow him - what the hell was I thinking? Did I really want to go down there? Or was I doing it because I really am just Harry Potter's sidekick...

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

DRACO POV

Potter fell for it straight away! He really thought the Weaslette had sent that Valentine. It was Blaise's idea, but obviously I won't be telling anyone that.

Weaslette's face was priceless as well - her face was the same colour as her hair, and I had never seen someone look so mortified in all my life. It did confirm everyone's suspicions - she had a massive crush on the Boy Who Lived, and now he knew it too. Before she ran away she made eye contact with me, and the tears in her eyes made me stop in my tracks, thinking about how nice she was to me in the library. I quickly pushed the thought away, calling one more nasty comment down the corridor after Potter, who had scarpered in the opposite direction.

Back in the common room, Blaise and I discussed other ways of making Potter look like an idiot, from making up rumours to slipping him a potion, and by midnight, we had a whole roll of parchment full of ideas.

The valentine was a huge success, so we put our next prank into action the very next day. Once again, I sat behind Potter in Potions, but this time, instead of insulting him all lesson, I waited until he went to get some more ingredients from the cupboard, and then chucked a few surprises into his potion...

At the end of the hour, Snape looked at each of our potions in turn and decided whether it was safe to taste or not. When he got to Potter's potion he looked taken aback at the perfect shade of lilac the surface was. He sighed and took a sip, and unable to find anything wrong, he proceeded to Weasley's cauldron, which seemed to be holding the contents of a sewer.

Just as Snape opened his mouth to speak, however, a ripple of laughter went through the class. His cloak swished as he spun around, and in the process he caught sight of his hair. His eyes widened in horror as his usually black greasy curtains slowly but surely faded to an extremely vibrant shade of pink.

"POTTER!" I ducked behind my cauldron to hide my laughter as Snape yelled himself hoarse at Potter and gave him two weeks of detention.

I almost wondered if we had taken it too far when I saw Potter's face after Snape went to find an antidote.

Almost.