Chapter 5

A/N- Two updates in a DAY? What IS the world coming to?! I just had a brainwave and I'm trying to move the story forward so I can SHARE my brainwave with you lovely people! So... enjoy this chapter! :-)

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

HARRY POV

"Harry, you're sticking your tongue out again," Ron laughed, and I felt my cheeks going pink.

"I just do it when I'm thinking..."

"It looks a bit weird, mate," Ron admitted.

"Thanks, Ron." I looked across the table at Hermione, who was engrossed in a tonne of leaflets and forms and papers. "Blimey Hermione, you're not really thinking about doing ALL of those classes are you?"

"Well, why not?" she said swiftly, not looking up.

"For one, you won't have enough space in your timetable," Ron lifted up one of the pieces of paper. "For another, you won't have enough time to do all of the homework. And for another, what the bloody hell is the point in you doing Muggle Studies? You live with two Muggles!"

"I think it would be interesting to learn about it from a wizard's point of view," she replied, still not looking up. I just laughed and looked over Hermione's shoulder at the Slytherin table. It seemed Malfoy had been listening to our entire conversation, so I grinned and rolled my eyes at him. He smirked back at me and then returned his gaze to his own form. I looked back at mine, having difficulty deciding.

"What're you gonna pick, Ron?" I asked, leaning across the table to him.

He shrugged. "Haven't got a clue. Fred told me that Ancient Runes is a load of rubbish, but then Fred thinks all lessons are rubbish. And Percy said he absolutely loved Arithmancy, so that's out." He marked a big cross over the subject.

In the end, we both agreed on Divination and Care of Magical Creatures, in the hope that even if we were rubbish at them, we could be rubbish together. Hermione, meanwhile, went ahead and signed up for everything.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

"What did you sign up for?" Malfoy asked as we dangled our feet in the lake. Having been kept later at Quidditch practice and therefore not turned up to our chess session, he had wandered down to the pitch and we had decided instead to make the most of the warm, light evening and walk around the lake instead. And yet we were both too stubborn to admit that we actually quite enjoyed each others' company.

"Divination and Care of Magical Creatures."

"I did Magical Creatures too! But Divination is a load of crap. I took Arithmancy."

"You're such a nerd."

He shoved me and I toppled into the freezing cold lake. I came up, spluttering, while he just sat and laughed at me.

"Dammit Draco! Help me up, you prat!" He grabbed hold of my arm and pulled me up, still laughing. However, before he could lift me onto the edge, I yanked his arm really hard and he fell face first into the water with me.

He thrashed around a little, but then stopped and looked up at me.

"It's really not that deep." I smirked at him, and he glared at me before standing up as well. The water only came up to his waist.

"You're an asshole, you know that?" he shook his head, trying not to laugh.

"Yep. And proud."

He went to get out of the water, then suddenly stopped in his tracks. "Did you just call me Draco?"

I froze. "No."

"You absolute liar," he snorted, and I was relieved to see he was grinning. "I should probably go and pack anyway..." he sighed.

I nodded and we headed back towards the castle in different directions.

"Have a good easter, Harry."

"See you round, Draco."

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

TWO WEEKS LATER

DRACO POV

It was great to be back at Hogwarts. No more nagging from my father, proper Quidditch, and just... more freedom. My chess sessions with Harry had been temporarily postponed, because the Gryffindor vs Hufflepuff Quidditch match was coming up and whenever he wasn't doing homework he was flying around the Quidditch pitch.

On Saturday morning, I watched Oliver Wood piling scrambled eggs on Harry's plate, but he didn't even notice. He was staring down the Gryffindor table as though he was examining all of his fellow housemates. He hardly even noticed when Weasley thumped him on the back and everyone around him began to stand up to head towards the Quidditch pitch.

I fought my way through the crowd, trying to get closer to him. Suddenly he stopped, and Weasley and Granger looked at him worriedly.

"The voice!" Harry said. "I just heard it again. Could you not hear it?" Weasley looked totally confused (nothing new there), but Granger hit herself on the forehead and said, "Harry, I think I've just understood something! I've got to go to the library!" and she was gone.

Curious, I still tried to get closer to Harry, but he was now heading up the marble staircase in the entrance hall, and the crowd was shoving me in the opposite direction, towards the front doors. I sighed and gave up, allowing myself to be taken down through the grounds and up into the Slytherin podiums.

However, just as everyone was settling down into their seats, McGonagall walked out onto the pitch with an enormous megaphone and yelled, "this match has been cancelled. All students will go back to their house common rooms, where their Heads of Houses will explain all to them. Quickly please!"

Everyone looked confused, everyone was talking, everyone was shoving. In the commotion I looked down at the Quidditch pitch and saw that McGonagall was leading Harry and Weasley back up into the castle.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

I rushed through the castle, keeping an eye out for any teachers. I sprinted up the Astronomy Tower steps two at a time, hoping against hope that Harry would be there. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw a familiar mop of black hair on the sofa by the window, and went over to sit next to him.

"Harry?"

He jumped. I obviously interrupted a deep thought.

"Oh, Draco! It's you, I thought a teacher had come and we're not supposed to leave our common room so I was-"

"Chill out, Potter. What happened? Where did McGonagall take you?"

"It's Hermione, Draco. She's been petrified."