Chapter 49

A/N- Hey guys! This was SO DIFFICULT to write, and I don't know how I feel about it. There is a trigger warning, and I'll mark the section with an asterisk in case you wish to skip it.

But it will get better, I promise. Happy Reading :-)

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

RON POV

I stayed with Bill and Fleur for a few more weeks. I didn't know where else to go; I felt lost and alone.

I knew it was my own fault, and after my talk with Bill I knew that I needed to find Harry and Hermione and set things straight.

But how? I had no way of knowing where they were, and even if I did, their protective enchantments would have prevented me from finding them.

So when I heard Hermione's voice on Christmas morning, and the ball of light from the Deluminator went into my chest, I wanted to cry with happiness. I didn't, obviously.

I grabbed my rucksack, which was barely unpacked anyway, and chucked the last stray items into it. I ran downstairs, and Bill almost jumped out of his skin when I reached the hall.

"Bloody hell!" He gasped, putting his wand back into his jeans. "I thought you were being chased by Death Eaters!"
"Sorry... I know where they are."
Bill blinked at me. "Harry and Hermione? But-"
"I know, I don't know how. But I'm going back. To be their best mate."

He placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'm proud of you, little bro. Please be careful. And NEVER mention to your mother that you stayed with me."

I chuckled, swinging my bag onto my back and walking to the front door. "Never. Thank you for everything. Tell Fleur I said bye."
"See you round, mate. Good luck."

I walked down the path and just beyond the perimeter of the garden, where I knew the protective enchantments ended. Then I turned on the spot, trusting that (as ridiculous as it sounded in my head) the ball of light would take me where I needed to go.

I ended up on a hillside. There was complete silence all around, but I felt sure Harry and Hermione were here somewhere. I started walking, the thick banket of snow crunching under my feet.. I kept tripping over concealed obstacles and stumbling into rabbit holes, but I kept going, calling out for Harry and Hermione until my voice cracked.

When the sun began to set, something made me wonder whether they had moved on already, so I took the chance and Disapparated.

This time, I found myself in a large forest. It was dark now, and I didn't want to risk calling out in case there were Snatchers nearby. So I walked as quietly as possible, looking out for any signs of movement.

And then I saw a bright white light through the trees. It was travelling towards my right, and as I got closer I could see that the light was actually a Patronus. I paused, looking upwards to check for Dementors. I was also aware that someone had to have conjured it, and they could be anywhere.

Then I saw Harry, and I nearly whooped for joy. I stopped myself, not wanting to draw attention to myself in case Harry was following someone. But I followed quietly behind, and watched in horror as Harry stripped to his underwear and dived into a freezing cold lake.

I forgot for a second that someone might catch me, and sprinted to the edge of the lake. Harry was swimmimg down to the bottom, where a sword lay as though waiting for him. I waited for a few seconds, as he grabbed the sword and began to swim back up...

But he wasn't coming. What I had mistaken for swimming was actually just Harry thrashing around as he sank deeper into the lake.

I panicked, looking around to see if anyone could help. Then I mentally kicked myself. Of COURSE there wasn't anyone to help...