Chapter 29

HERMIONE POV

It had never occurred to me how one single event, on one single day, could change the entire course of history. One minute, everything is fine; the world is at peace and everyone is relaxing in the soft evening sunset...

And then Harry Potter brings a corpse out of the maze with him.

Of course, people immediately started jumping to conclusions. I could hear concerned mumbling all around me. Did they have a fight? Did Harry accidentally, or even purposefully, provide the fatal blow? Why were they fighting when they were both on Team Hogwarts? Or Cedric actually get killed by one of the things in the maze?

At last, the word reached us: Voldemort was back. No one had any more information than that, but it was all we needed to know for a blanket of terror to fall over the entire crowd. People were screaming, crying and just staring at the scene in front of us in horror.

As teachers began to run around, ushering everyone out of the stands, my head was spinning. I kept my eyes locked on Harry; he looked completely lost and petrified, his eyes wide as he clutched tightly to Cedric's body. I watched as Dumbledore approached him and, with astonishing strength for an older man, lifted him up and away from the boy. He was whispering softly to him and Harry began to relax a little, although his eyes still darted nervously around the scene.

I turned back to the Weasleys, but only Fred remained. He wore a grave expression completely opposite to his normal cheeky grin as he offered me a hand and pulled me away quickly. But as we left, I was confused to see Professor Moody lift Harry up from where Dumbledore had set him down and begin to walk with him up to the castle.

That wasn't right. Obviously Dumbledore wanted Harry to stay near him, and Professor Moody should have gone with that. But Dumbledore seemed to have noticed and, after ensuring that Madam Pomfrey and Professor Sprout were with Cedric and his parents, he began to follow after Moody with McGonagall and Snape.

Fred took me up to the castle, where we met the other Weasleys. An argument had begun; Mrs Weasley, Ron and Ginny wanted to see Harry, but Bill and George were convinced that it was a bad idea and that he needed some time to recover before they all crowded into the hospital wing.

"Well then maybe just us three should go! Then we won't be crowding him!" Ron snapped.
"I want to go too," I said quickly, and Fred nodded.
"Me too."

Bill sighed as he looked between our stubborn faces. "I want to see Harry as much as you do, but he might want some space."
"Well then we'll go and see him, ask if he wants some space and then leave if he does!" Ginny stood her ground.
Bill and George exchanged a glance and then nodded. "Okay, we'll come with you."

But there was no one in there. Even Madam Pomfrey was gone, busy comforting Cedric's parents and helping to remove his body. We waited impatiently for over half an hour before she finally came upstairs, levitating a stretcher. I assumed it would be Cedric, so I was surprised to see Professor Moody lying, unconscious, on the bed. What had happened to him?

As soon as she had attended to him, the Weasleys surrounded the nurse and started questioning her about Harry. They wanted to know where he was, why he wasn't here, what had happened, etc. Madam Pomfrey was very patient at first, but after ten minutes or so she was obviously feeling slightly harrassed and she stopped telling them anything. I watched in slight amusement as the scene unfolded, sure that Harry was somewhere with Dumbledore, and that, when the time was right, he would bring him up here to rest.

I was right. Soon after, Dumbledore appeared, gently guiding my exhausted best friend through the door. To my delight, they were followed by a large black dog.