Chapter 53

DRACO POV

We insisted Bill and Fleur stay in bed on the day we left; not only was it ridiculously early, but we felt that there would be a lot of questions if saw Hermione's disguise.

Even though I knew whose hair was in the Polyjuice Potion, I had nearly run a mile when I saw my aunt walking up the garden.

"Well? How do I look?" She asked nervously.

There was a brief pause.

"Hideous," Ron replied.
"You can't say much," Hermione retorted, and I silently agreed.

Both Ron and I had been transformed as much as possible to disguise ourselves. Ron's hair was longer, thick and matted, and he had a full beard, bushy eyebrows and a smaller nose. The others had agreed that the colour of my hair was too conspicuous, so my lengthened hair was a darker shade of blonde as well as the variation in my facial features. Harry had chuckled when he saw me, but when I asked why he just shook his head.

We gathered in a circle just outside the gate, where the Fidelius charm ended and we would be able to Disapparate. I looked around one last time, disappointed to be leaving the beautiful house and beach behind. I spotted Dobby's headstone over in the garden, and a lump formed in my throat.

"Goodbye Dobby," I whispered, and Harry turned to look at me, his eyes shining. I gave him a small smile, and my stomach flipped when he returned it.

Griphook climbed onto Harry's shoulders and Ron threw the Invisibility cloak over them, checking that he couldn't see anything. Then we turned on the spot, and Shell Cottage disappeared.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

It would be a lie to say that the plan went smoothly. Security was much tighter than when I last visited Gringotts - there were wizards with Probity Probes to detect any spells of concealment or hidden objects, more goblins than ever, and Hermione was forced to hand over Bellatrix's wand for examination before entering her vault.

Ron caught my eye, his expression giving away his nerves. We hadn't anticipated this. Someone had told them there may be an intruder.

And Bellatrix wasn't supposed to have her wand. Harry had snatched it from her before we left the Manor, and there was every chance that the goblins were warned.

But then something REALLY strange happened. While we were waiting nervously as the wand was checked, the goblin's eyes suddenly went blank and he smiled.

"Lovely wand, Madam Lestrange," the goblin, Bogrod, said dreamily, stepping down from behind his desk. "Do follow me."

Harry explained afterwards that he had used the Imperius curse, and I was half impressed with his quick thinking, half stunned by his willingness to perform an Unforgivable curse.

We travelled deep into the Earth. I vaguely remembered visiting Bellatrix's vault once when I was young, and I felt uneasy about the barriers that may be waiting. I had given as much information as I could to Harry and the others, but Griphook was able to provide much more detail and knowledge about the place - he had worked there, after all.

An enchanted waterfall, a blind dragon and many dim passages later, and we finally reached the vault. Harry used the curse to make Bogrod press his hand to the door, and we were in.

Harry had explained that we were looking for either a cup that belonged to Hufflepuff, OR something that belonged to Ravenclaw, and described the general appearance of the cup. It was only now that I realised I had no idea WHY we were searching for this object. Harry had been very vague about the real reason behind this heist. I knew he didn't fully trust me, but I was determined to prove that he could.