He;....

Desmonds POV;...

Deborah and I just like many others have managed to get away from the firing Fratello's.

I sit idly beside Deborah as my mind plays back to how we lost Ekene a few minutes ago.

Just like black magic, I have once again lost the closet thing I had to family. First, it was Papi and now him.

I fight back the tears that have built to the brim of my eyes as I need to be strong and be a man in this situation.

I look at Deborah who has her head hanging as streams of endless tears silently flow down her face.

She has her eyes shut and seeing her his way passes a dagger through my heart.

I wrap my arm around her as I pull her closer.

"Why? "The silent word rolls lifelessly out of her mouth.

"Why does he let this happen. Good people die and the bad ones... Live.

Mader, why did he let her come back? Why did he let me know such beautiful people if he was only gonna take them away from me in such ugly manners?

Why is he punishing us? "She says with her eyes still shut.

I get her pain but know better than to question God.

"Deborah, he knows what he's doing. "I state.

"I know he knows. He's playing a sick game with me. He is taking everything away from me.

I can't do this anymore. Desmond I'm not as strong as I used to think I was. I'm a mess. Desmond I don't think I can go on. "She says to me finally looking at my face.

"Deborah... "I make to speak but she cuts me.

"What would he take next!?
You!? " she screams and I freeze.

"Desmond, I'd die if you ever leave me... I... I... Won't bear it.

Desmond, you've become all I need to live... I... I don't mind staying stuck here as long as you're with me.

Desmond I can't lose you too... I.. I... Desmond please never leave me Desmond please." She begs before wrapping her arms around me and I feel emotions rush through me.

I can't hold back my tears anymore.

"Deborah, I'm always gonna be here for you. And remember when things get tough, God's always gonna come through.

Some have lost way more than we have, but we still have each other.

Remember, when the going gets tough, turn to Jesus." I try to console.

She simply looks up at me and I pull her into a warm comforting hug that helps us both stay calm...

We've reduced drastically compared to the crowd that was at first with is when we began this journey of faith.

We keep walking silently. My arms wrapped around Deborah's little body.

A dark, heavy cloud of sadness and loneliness has been looming over us since we lost some friends.

The clouds above us begin to darken as though trying to emanate the emotions brewing in our hearts.

Dana dryly informs us of our need to cut our journey as it's dark and it's about to rain.

We know there's no escaping getting wet so we all pick trees under which we'd stay till the rain is over.

We sit silently and my mind travels back to good times shared with Ekene and as I much as I try, I can't muster a smile.

I look down at Deborah who's fast asleep in my arms. I stare at her innocent face sound asleep in my arms.

Her helplessness and need of me clearly written all over her. I can only imagine what would happen to her if she wakes up and finds me gone.

"Desmond. "My name sneaks out her perfect lips and my heart stops.

I smile at her. She just called my name in her sleep. I push off the wet strands of hair from her face and plant a kiss on her forehead.

I secure her perfectly in my arms before taking permission from nature to fall into the sleep that's been calling on me for a long time.

Authors Narrative

Back at the mansion;

A Fratello comes to inform Mader that her runaway rebels have been found and would be finally out of the forest in just a day.

Mader has lost her cool and has decided they all need to be punished by death but not just any death.

Death by her hands.

She smiles as she gets the information. She begins her trip to her chamber to plan for her trip to encounter the unsuspecting children.

Brayan on the other hand would stay back at the mansion as he doesn't know if Sonia is still alive and if she is, he doesn't want to witness her death.

Back at the forest.

The whole team has been moving for hours and sadly Sonia has caught a cold.

It's been a stressful journey, very bumpy, and it's been a tough walk but finally, they begin to hear sounds of cars and people's loud voices.

"We made it! "Dana whisper yells weakly to Timothy. She's weak as they've all had to starve. Having exhausted all their food.

Sadly, Dana spoke too soon. With her statement comes a yelp from the crowd. The fratellos are back and Mader this time is in a covered, floating chariot.

The kids in fear begin to run towards the city noise they hear. Screaming and crying for help from anyone who could hear.

Desmond grabs Sonia's arm tightly and begins his fierce race with Sonia tagging helplessly along like a flag in the wind.

Mader continues shooting arrows at children and she spots Desmond.

She fires at him but misses. It rather brushed past his neck and the sudden pain causes him to lose balance hence placing his foot wrongly and twisting his ankle.

He falls to the ground in pain and Sonia begins to cry in panic. She tries to lift him but she can't even carry his arm over her tiny body comfortably.

Desmond manages to stand again while Mader savors the devilish satisfaction she's getting from his pain.

She shoots an arrow again and Desmond sights her this time. He moves out of the way but into more danger as he falls face down on a tree stump with sharp edges.

The dagger like edges pierce his stomach and he screams in anguish.

Sonia screams as she sees what's happened. Mader has left her Fratello's to the other kids and has decided to face Sonia and Desmond alone.

She swoops down to the ground so that her chariot is a little above the ground.

"You foolish boy! I gave you everything, and yet you choose to rebel against your mother!

You choose this spoiled brat over your own mother! You forgot how many years we've been family. "She spits referring to Sonia.

Anger, rage, and fear boils over in Sonia. She pounces on Mader but doesn't get past throwing vain punches and kicks while Mader successfully gives Sonia a very deep cut on her upper left arm with her talon nails.

Mader throws Sonia to the ground.

"I won't kill you. What greater pain is there than to watch helplessly as the one you love leaves you? "Mader questions more like she's stating to Sonia

Before she faces Desmond.
Sonia watches in horror as Desmond's fingers slowly begin to turn to stone.

Desmond looks away from Sonia as he doesn't want his pained expression to be the last image she'd see of him.

Is Desmond gonna die?