Sonia ❤

I had been down all day as I realized I just turned 20 today without my family there by me to celebrate me nor congratulate me. I just became a full woman and my mom isn't even here to share this big day with me.

I had turned another big page in my life with yet an even bigger page missing.

It's noon and I'm still wrapped up in myself when Gabby approaches me;
"Hey birthday girl, someone said to tell you to meet him at the second spot. "

I don't need anything to know the 'someone' is Desmond and the 'second spot' is his little cabin.  I can't help but smile at myself as memories of when I met him there playback in my head.

"Hmmm. Someone's blushing" Gabby coos in my ear drawing me back to earth and I stump her foot.

"No, I'm not! " I reply

"Ouch!" She whines

"Okay, but you don't have to be a punchy princess about it! " she squeals and I can't help but roll my eyes.

"Now? " I question.

"What now? " she asks totally confused.

"Desmond?.. "I reply to remind her.

"Hmmm. You knew the person before I even got to say his name." She teases.

"Don't make me make you limp till next Halloween. " I threaten and she giggles.

"Yes now," she replies.

"You do have a lot to let me in on," she says before walking away with her fruit basket.
I roll my eyes at her and I can't help but wonder what Desmond wants me at the cabin for. In all honesty, hearing his name brings me a fair amount of happiness.

I chew on my lower lip as I begin to wonder what Desmond wants from me this afternoon. I look into my half-filled basket and I decide it's full enough for a little distraction.

I make my way towards his cabin with a smile and blush plastered on my face as memories of the last time I was here play in my mind.

The slightly wet grass giving moisture to the part of my jean trousers around my ankles. I look up through the beautiful canopy created by the tree's thick branches and leaves. Permitting only a fair amount of sunlight to pass through. Oxygen is so pure and soothing as nature works wonders with these trees.

Birds chirping from their nests on trees a little distance away. Butterflies going about their duty on flowers and dragonflies performing their crazy zigzag dance in the air.

I never really took out time to admire this place the last time I was here cause I was busy admiring one particular work of art.

How does Desmond come about such beautiful places? Places so serene and gorgeous.

"Desmond?.. " I call as I finally approach his cabin but I get no reply.

"Desmond?? " I call again I'm in an attempt to get a reply but still get none. I stand before his cabin not knowing if I'm allowed to go in or not. I take a deep breath as I open the door.

I step into the fairly lit wood house. Papers pined all over the little room. A handmade table and two hand-made chairs. I see flowers hanging from the ceiling, flowers on the table, and some on the floor. Beautiful flowers of pink and yellow.

I have never really fancied flowers but this... Is so gorgeous. Who knew such beauty could be created in a place like this!?

"Happy Birthday. " his sweet accent evades my ears.

I turn around to find the British beauty in a white shirt (which one could see through), black jeans, and his hands in his pockets. ~as usual

I stare at him with my mouth hanging open.
"You turned 20 today right? " he questions as he walks into the room towards me.

"What happens if I say no? " I ask just to tease him. His look tenses for a split second but returns to normal.

"Then all my efforts would be in vain." He replies as he walks past me. I smile at his words and then walk towards a drawing on the wall that's silently been calling on me.

"Lucky you then. Your efforts are safe. " I say as I stare at the drawing. It's a picture of a beautiful woman whose age I can't guess. She looks so gentle and peaceful. She'd pass for an angel any day with a few freckles scattered on and around her nose. Her smile so beautiful yet pain could be seen hiding behind it if one looked closely.

"She's beautiful huh? "Desmond asks standing right behind me.

"Mmm. " I reply with a nod as I stare at the woman's eyes. I run my fingers over the properly-outlined details of her beautiful eyes.

"She has your eyes. " I mutter without even realizing it.

"She's my mom," he replies and I turn to him in surprise.

"really? " I ask and he replies with a nod.

Then it hits me. This drawing was hand-made.

"You draw!? " I question in bewilderment and admiration.

"Just a little," he replies, and my jaw drops.

"Close up. I don't think you wanna add flies to the list of crazy things you've ever tasted," he says as he uses his fingers to push my jaw back up.

"They're gorgeous! " I exclaim looking back at the drawings as I decide to ignore his words.

"Be right back," he says as he exits the room.

I find an old table in a corner of the room and I walk towards it in curiosity. There are a few papers on the table.

I pick up the first one and find the same woman from the first drawing on this paper. But this time she isn't smiling. She is bruised and has tears in her eyes as she is shielding a little boy from something. I stare at the little boy for a little while before realizing it's Desmond. I stare at the won pained expression for a little while before I feel my eyes water. 

I put it under the other papers in my hands. The next drawing is a drawing of someone's eyes. So detailed and so beautiful. Where could he have seen such beautiful eyes? Eyes so pretty and intense.

It seems I've seen these eyes somewhere before. The papers in my hand fall to the ground as most of my attention is on the drawing of eyes in my hands.

I look at the little mess I've made and I spot part of another drawing. I can only see the girl's curly hair and her eyebrows. I slowly stoop down as I make to pick up the drawing when suddenly Desmond drags it out of my reach and hides it behind him.

"What?... "

Yes, the girl up there is our beautiful Sonia. But really, what do you think Desmond is hiding?? 🤔