38

Sungyoon was silent. Joochan was looking at him. Everyone was looking at Sungyoon.

"Appa don't like hyung?" Bomin asked while looking at Sungyoon.

"Bomin, come here.." Haru called Bomin. Bomin came to Haru. He sat on Haru's lap. Then, Haru covered Bomin's ears.

"What's wrong with this, omma?" Bomin asked.

"You shouldn't have to hear this. This is not about you..." Haru said.

"I can't know about that?" Bomin asked.

"No, you can't.." Haru said.

"But you know I can still hear you a bit.." Bomin said.

"Then, can you pretend to not hear it?" Haru asked.

"Sure!" Bomin said. He took his toys and played by himself, pretending to not hear what have his parents said with Joochan. When he was focusing on his toys, Bomin actually didn't hear everything.

* * *

"You know..." Sungyoon slowly tried to answer Joochan's question.

"Before I became an engineer.. I made a part-time in old folks' home. I took a chance to take care of an old woman. I called her 'grandma'. She didn't have a kid, so she and her late husband took a kid. The kid was raised really well but then, the kid left her and her husband. Somewhere unknown. She never met her child after the kid left until she passed away. Everyday I came to see her, she would say that I reminded her of her kid. She was really kind, but she passed away in desperation for not be able to meet her son. I love her really much. As my parents at that time were really busy with their works, she was like my second mother. When she passed away, her son came to the funeral, but he just made chaos. He just wanted the money that she left. That made me felt really... really hate... him. Also, it made me felt like... adopted kids are all same. Useless, bad... like him.

Haru and I had got married for 3 years but we didn't have a kid. We tried so many times, but we couldn't have a kid. Deep in our hearts, we were desperately wanting to have atleast, a kid. When Haru told me that she wanted to adopt you, the memory came back. I was living in dilemma. I am afraid if.. my fate would be the same like her. I am afraid that... you would do the same thing to me one day. Instead of loving you, I tortured you. So that, one day.. if you are really leaving us... I won't be desperate like her.

Haru and Daeyeol tried to prove me that I am wrong. I sometimes believe that I am really wrong, but I couldn't beat my ego. I cried sometimes, thinking about why I couldn't love you like everyone did.. but sooner I realized, I was actually a coward. After a long moment, I finally believe that, you're really a miracle. I tried to accept the fate. I tried to believe the reality.

I once dreamed of a man. A man with an old police suit. Came to me, and asking me to adopt you with all my heart. Asking me desperately to take care of you really well. I don't know why am I dreaming of that man but I believe, he came for a reason.

On the next day, I went to your room and I saw the same man with a kid next to him. You. You said it was your father. So I was thinking, it was really your father.. passing his responsibilities to me, to take care of you... as my son..." Sungyoon said. Joochan and Haru both were focused to hear Sungyoon's words.

"You know what, I am still thankful to your father. Because he, treated you very well. Because of him, you became a good person. I forgot to tell you. I often came to your father's grave. To pay a respect to him. I know he was a good man. I heard much good stories about him from my mutual's fathers. Your father was really admired by many people. Actually, Daeyeol's father also knew your father. He just knew it. Your father was the one who saved his life a long time ago.