8. Vikk- Coffee shop

I took another sip of the black coffee in front of me, allowing the bitter taste to flow down my throat and liven my senses, just like the book's plot. My main character was currently sat in her dead Uncle's study, reading a book- just like I was.

Well, apart from the fact that I was in a coffee shop.

And my Uncle wasn't dead.

I readjusted the handle of my coffee filled cup so that it was at a perfect thirty degree angle, before pushing my glasses a little higher up the bridge of my nose and continuing to read about Stephanie flipping through her dead Uncle's incomplete stories. 

"What's a pretty woman like you doing in here when you could be outside with me?" A man walked up to me and asked, smirking.

I had noticed him with a group of boys in the corner of the shop. They were all having a conversation, occasionally glancing towards me as they spoke. Now the tall blonde one with blue eyes and long limbs was talking to me.

"Well I have a few things to comment on what you said- one, I'm not pretty, I'm downright gorgeous, two, I'm pretty sure you can see I'm reading and drinking coffee, and three- I'd prefer not to be outside with you because I'm only sixteen, and you look like you're in your twenties." I commented with the upmost calmness, not looking up from my book.

"Hey, I'm only twenty!" He exclaimed.

"Exactly. You're overage and I'm not." I pointed out, turning the page of my book.

"God, Simon, know when to stop." I heard footsteps approaching our table, and I glanced briefly up from my book to see one of his group nearing. He pulled 'Simon' away, and was also about to leave, before he turned around and looked at my book.

"Huh, you're reading the Skulduggery Pleasant series." He noticed.

"Really." I asked him sarcastically, not looking up from my book as I sensed an awkward conversation would continue if I tried to talk to him. 

He chuckled lightly before drawing the chair out.

"Can I take a seat?" He asked.

"Technically you can, but I'd prefer if you didn't because then we would probably have to have a conversation." I remarked.

"It doesn't have to be an awkward conversation- maybe if you stopped reading and tried talking we could have quite a decent one, actually." He suggested.

I dropped my book down, putting it to the side of table and staring at him.

"Well then talk." I prompted.

"What's your name?" He tried to start a conversation. I scoffed at his question. "I'm Vikk."

"And I don't care." I responded. "Now please remind me how this conversation is better than reading my book?"

"Well if you're so stuck on getting back to reading your book and getting everyone to fuck off, then I'll let you know that I wanted to tell you was that I'd recommend reading Terry Pratchett's book, The Colour of Magic, and have a nice conversation about books with you- but instead you'd rather read a read a book which most ten year olds use as light bedtime reading, rather than actually be social and talk to someone - and from what meets the eye, nobody has tried to have a conversation with you since the main character in that book was actually liked by her cousins." Vikk rammed his chair back and slammed it under the table, swiftly getting up and walking away after his angry- but very well put together speech.

I just chuckled before smiling and taking another sip of my black coffee.

"Hey, Vikk."

"What do you want."

"My name is Ellie."

"And...?"

"And I've already read that book."

"So what."

"So perhaps you would like to exchange numbers to recommend better books which I haven't already read."

---

if this seemed kinda shite, and like it had been written in less than an hour...

that's because it has.