60 | The One With The Wish

"So there is Chase. He's a big brown police puppy. He hates cats. I like Chase too. And and and there's a new cutie puppy in the show. He has a jeep and he drives it all around the jungle. His name is Tracker. Very good puppy."

"Who else do you like in this show?" Shree asks Madhu, who was excitedly describing each of her favourite characters from Paw Patrol. She was jumping up and down on the bed, in her pink pyjamas.

"There's so many!" Madhu exclaims hugging her Dalmation soft toy. "I like Zuma too. He can swim! He has a hat and he lives in a boat house."

"That's great, kannamma." Madhav says as he takes off his glasses. "Shall we all go to sleep? We need to wake up early tomorrow."

"Aiyo, why?" Madhu exclaims.

"We are going to the orphanage, baby." Shree tells Madhu. "Tomorrow is your grandma's birthday. Have you forgotten?"

"Bhamma? Or Yashoda Grandma?" Madhu asks.

"No no. Bhamma is my Mumma." Shree says. "This is Nanna's Mumma. Real Mumma"

"Where is she? Why haven't I ever seen her?" Madhu asks.

"She died long ago." Shree whispers. "Very long ago. Nanna was your age when his mother died."

"So Nanna grew up without his Mumma?" Madhu asks looking at Madhav. "No Mumma to make him nice sanchwichies and cookies, and and no good night kissies and no anything?"

Shree shakes her head. Madhu quickly hugs Madhav.

"You must have had a hard time to live without your Mumma." She says burying her face in his black tee-shirt.

"It was. Sadly, I was very small when she died. She only exists in my mind as a blurred memory." Madhav says. "I never got to know her personally. I know her only through her photos and the songs that she has sung."

He stops for a moment, realizing Shree and Madhu were looking at him with sadness.

"Alright, I think we need to go sleep." He says blinking away the tears. "Madhu, come here so I can properly tuck you in your blanket. Shree, can we have the lights dimmed?"

"Nanna, don't feel sad." Madhu says as she snuggles into her pillow. "You have us and Meow. We love you so much, you know."

"You don't look good with a sad face, Madhav." Shree says getting into the bed. "She may not be with us physically, but I assure you that she is with us in every possible way, through every step of our lives. The people we love never truly leave us. Death can take them away, but not the memories and the love we share."

"I want to live a life where she never dies. I wish that happens." Madhav says looking up at the ceiling. "Just imagine how beautiful life would have been if she never died. She would have showered so much love on both of you!"

"And Meow?" Madhu asks.

"And our dearest Meow too!" Madhav says smiling and he presses a kiss to her forehead.

"You forgot to give one for Mumma!" Madhu says poking his shoulder.

"Your Mumma got plenty today." Madhav says and Shree blushes.

"Alright, let's all go to sleep!" Shree says.

"Toot sweets sound like what they are. So do lollys in a lollypop jar." Madhu sings into Madhav's ears. 

"Is she singing?" Madhav asks amused.

"Just listen." Shree whispers. "She's been practising."

"Gingerbread men have a gingerbread sound. Sugar plum cinnamon and lemon tart tell you what they are right from the start. And your name does the same for you." Madhu says resting her chin on his chest.