03 | The One With The Rain

-S H R E E   P R A S A D-  

"Good!" Madhav Sir remarks as he sips the coffee in his Styrofoam cup as he turning the pages. I'm happy he likes it. I let out a sigh of satisfaction. "Tell the peon to get one dozen photocopies of this by Monday. Do you have the soft copy of this?"

I nod.

"Keep it safe!" he orders "Do not lose it by any chance."

* * * * *

The clouds cover the sky and the sky begins to rumble. Thunder roars somewhere in the distance and lightning cracks the sky. Thunder once more rumbles and it all seems like it's happening right infront of my eyes. From the fifteenth floor, everything below me looks incredibly small. I gaze out through the window as I watch the rain drops drizzle from the sky.

The clock strikes six. Time to go home. I make a quick grab for my hand bag and brisk my way to the elevator.

I press the button summoning the elevator and wait till the doors slide open. I tap one foot impatiently waiting, when I hear a familiar pair of feet walk towards me.

It's him, again. He's busy typing something on his smartphone, and that's the only thing he has in his hand. He isn't carrying those dull coloured suitcases or those laptop bags the CEOs from movies would carry around to work. His eyes are basically glued to the phone. As the doors slide open, he puts his phone into his pocket and walks inside with me. His long finger presses on the button to the Lobby as the doors close.

"Ms. Prasad!" he exclaims seeing me "I didn't know you were-" I vaguely smile at him. "Lobby?" he asks promptly as he crosses his arms.

I nod.

* * * * *

I grope through the contents of my handbag, shuffling through my purse, my Nokia 2200, sanitary napkins, lipstick, the last letter Nanna wrote and the pepper spray searching for my umbrella. I can't find it. I'm standing at the entrance and it's a severe downpour of rain. God! I should have brought my umbrella! I wonder how I'm going to reach the railway station and then back home! I'll be fully soaked by the time I reach home! It should be somewhere! "Accio Umbrella!" I whispered but it didn't come to me. "Fhat the wuck! Where are you?"

I close my bag and cross my arms as someone rans past me and out into the open. His green shirt gets drenched in the rain as he makes a mad dash towards the gates and towards the bus halt near the gate.

A bus arrives at the halt within a few minutes and more than a dozen, who were standing in the halt squeeze their way inside the bus, pushing and shoving through the small and narrow entrance. Another stout man runs past me as fast as his legs can carry him hoping to catch the bus, and he does.

It's almost half past six and God only knows when the next bus will be coming. The sun has already set and the darkness is starting to sink in slowly. It'll be darker soon and I'm getting late. Awfully late. It's a long journey back home and I want to reach home just in time for dinner and before Ishqbaaaz starts at 10.

It's only a few drops- I convince myself, all for Shivaay Singh Oberoi. 

If Shraddha Kapoor can dance for so many rain themed songs and shoot for many romantic scenes in the rain and not-die, then I will be fine too. In the worst case scenario, I'll be catching a cold that'll stick around for two to four days. I breathe and muster all the courage I can gather.