69 | The One With The Memory

Shree sighs as she makes Madhu sit properly on the sofa. 

"We have a guest, so sit properly!" Shree whispers, she throws a quick smile at the guest who was sipping their tea.

"How's the whole family doing?" Siya asks.

"We're doing fine." Shree says. "Madhu just finished kindergarten and she's enjoying the vacation. RK sir and Yashoda Ma are good too. Shyaam is stressed with his new job and Devi - she went into labour last night."

"Isn't she like five months pregnant or something-"

"27 weeks. That's six and half months." Shree corrects. "Premature delivery. The doctors would keep the baby in the NICU for a few months."

"So when did you come from the US, Siya?" Shree asks as Siya sets her tea cup on the coffee table.

"Last week." She replies. "I was planning to come as soon as I heard the horrible news. I was so shattered knowing this happened to Madhav. I am still shattered. As soon as I finished my PhD submissions, I took the plane and came to India with my friend Uday."

"Hello, I am Uday." The man sitting beside Siya greets. He was tall fair man with a briefcase, and he wore a white shirt with brown trousers.

"Hi Uday." Shree smiles at the tall fair man seated next to Siya.

"Hi, Mrs. Ramakrishna." Uday smiles. "The tea is wonderful - and - and so are the samosas!"

"Thank you." Shree smiles and suddenly Uday sneezes, spilling the hot tea on his white shirt and trousers. 

"Uhm - I'm so sorry, can you show me the way to the bathroom?"

"Sure, come with me." Shree says, guiding him to her bedroom. She opens the bedroom door. "The bathroom is the door to your right. I'll get you an extra trouser and shirt from my brother-in-law."

A few minutes later, Shree walks into the bedroom with Siya.

"Do you like the clothes, Uday?" Siya asks.

"Yes, I'm super happy it fits perfectly!" Uday says looking at his reflection on the mirror. "My hair is a tad messy, is it okay if I use this comb to-"

"Sure." Shree nods. "We'll wait for you downstairs."

As Shree walks out of the room, she notices Shyaam rushing upstairs.

"Shyaam, what-" She starts as Shyaam quickly hugs her.

"She did it!"  He says holding Shree's hands. "Devi gave birth to a baby boy."

"That's great!" Shree exclaims happily. "How's Devi and the baby?"

"Devi is fine. Exhausted. She was asked to get some sleep." Shyaam says. "The little one was taken to the NICU, he'll be there for a couple of weeks. He's incredibly tiny, you know! Half of Madhu's size when she was born."

"That's how premature babies are - tiny and fragile, but they'll grow." Shree says. "Just make sure you and Devi spend more time with him."

"Yes. I came to tell you the news and to pack my things. I'm going to be staying in the hospital for a couple of days with Devi and the little one." He runs down the corridor. "I only know There's "

* * * * * 

Uday and Siya's car stopped at the junction that led to the RK mansion. 

"Did you get it?" Siya asks looking at Uday.

Uday nods as he keeps a secured hand on the briefcase he took with him. "It's inside."