43 | The One With The Graduation

April 2020,

Mumbai, India.

"I'll answer that call." Lakshmi says wiping her hands as she comes out from the kitchen to answer the ringing phone. "Sit down, Devi."

"Yeah, sit down Devi!" Shyaam laughs as Devi sits on the sofa again.

"It must be those Reddy family from Jubilee Hills." Devi says.

"Are they those people who rejected you because of bhabhi and bhaisaab's intercaste marriage?"

"That was the Rao family from Hyderabad." Devi says. She leans forward and talks in a hushed voice. "Some families have the weirdest reasons for rejecting a woman. Sometimes it's because she's too educated, or under educated. And they believe in utterly nonsensical theories! If her breasts are big then she'll be an unfaithful wife. If her breasts are too small, then she'll be infertile."

"Did someone reject you for-"

"Yeah. This weird orthodox family came to see me. They rejected me because I had smaller breasts! The groom's mother told me this to my face. Tell me, what does the size of my breast have to do with a marriage?" Devi exclaims. Shyaam raises his eyebrows in surprise. "I spilled the cup of chai on that woman's head. Amma was flabbergasted. I'm sure these people who are talking to Amma have a stupid reason too."

They both watch Lakshmi put the phone down.

"What did they say?"

"They said you might over dominate everyone in the house and create chaos, because your second toe was longer than your first toe." Lakshmi sighs and walks into the kitchen.

"See! Utterly nonsensical theories!" Devi shrugs.

"Psst." He whispers and leans closer to Devi. "I'm naturally attracted to dominating women."

Devi blushes. "Okay it's time you went. You came here to give the nuts your father brought at Dubai right? Now that you have given them to us, skiddadle!"

"Hey! Is this how you chase the family's youngest son-in-law?" Shyaam asks as Devi drags him to the door.

"No! You chase him with the broom from the kitchen." Devi says smiling. "Seriously, stop visiting me very often!"

"Fine! I'll leave! Just give me a kiss, na." Shyaam says. Devi looks around and hears the grinder's sound come from the kitchen. She inches closer and wraps her arms around his neck. She smiles seeing him straighten his tee-shirt and adjusting his messy hair. She takes a step closer and blushes when she realizes there was no gap between their chests.

She closes her eyes and brings her face forward to kiss him. And that's when the phone rings again.

"Maybe another time." He says, walking out. "See you soon, babe!"

"Devi get the phone! I'm a bit busy here." Lakshmi tells from the kitchen.

Devi quickly moves away from him and goes to answer the phone.

"I hope it's not another family calling to point their finger at you! I'm sick and tired of hearing-" Laksmi's voice emerges from the kitchen.

"Shhhh-" Devi says and her face becomes bright. "Hang on, I'll call you on Whatsapp, Akka!"

"Is that Shree?" Lakshmi asks as Devi keeps the phone and rushes to get her mobile. Devi brings the phone and sits on the sofa. Lakshmi sits beside her.

"Hi akka!" Devi waves as Shree's video appears. "Is Madhu there?"

"She's asleep. It's 6 AM here." Shree says. "I call you again when she wakes-"