29 | The One With The Flashback: 2/2

We never spoke about the incident and she looked like a very different person. She hardly smiled, except when she came to put me to sleep.

I left to the boarding towards the end of the vacation. She came with Appa as always to drop me.

Throughout the term I received her letters. She seemed upset and her mind was wary. She could no longer focus during lectures, she struggled to keep herself calm and woke up screaming on stormy nights. She easily gave into tears and became restless.

I started to worry about her.

Her falling grades added to her wounds and the final blow was when she scored poorly in her year-end exam.

The last time I saw her in my boarding school was on the day of Rakshabandan. She looked thin, pale and her cheekbones were very visible. Appa was clearly worried about her. She had forgotten how to smile, and talk. She barely spoke a word, but she hadn't forgotten how to hug.

She tied a simple beaded rakhi with no fancy ruffles and glitter work. It just had three little bronze beads, held in place with knots in between. After the ceremony, I had my head rested on her lap, holding her hand, as we sat under the big banyan tree. She lovingly caressed my arm while enjoying the gentle breeze, she didn't smile, but somehow, she felt peaceful.

They left in the midafternoon. I always hated saying goodbye to her. She hated it too. I remember her placing a loving kiss on my forehead and hugging me before she got into the car. She looked out the window, waving at me with a bright smile on her face as the car went passed the big steel gates of the boarding school.

* * * * *

Two days later, on a cold Tuesday morning, before sunrise, the warden came to the boys dormitory and woke me up. It was barely 3 AM, I was asked to come to Mumbai immediately. Appa had sent his friend, Mr. Pradeep, in Chennai to bring me safely to Mumbai. Pradeep never told me what happened, he himself had no idea. I had an uneasy feeling. We took a flight to Mumbai.

I ran into the mansion as soon as the taxi stopped at the gate. The gate as well as the door was wide open and there weren't any furniture in the living room. Just the burgundy carpet spread on the floor. Yashoda Ma, was weeping against her mother's shoulder, holding Shyaam in her hands.

My heart beats loudly and I rushed up the stairs to Akka's room. Just as I reached halfway, I saw Appa come down.

He held my shoulder and told me gently. "Madhav, your sister- she-she's no more."

I got to know that she had slit her wrist on Monday night. Appa had sensed something wrong the whole night and walked into her room around midnight. He found her lifeless on the bed. She had committed suicide.

I was seated on a corner of the living room, looking upon her lifeless body.

The final rites happened the following day, I was asked to do it. The entire funeral was a blurry event, the only vivid memory of it was when I had to light her funeral pyre. When I was given the fire torch to light the pyre, my hands shook furiously.

Devakshi was more than a sister, she was a friend, a guide and above all another mother. She gave me so much and did so many for me. While all I did for her was ignite her funeral pyre.

She could have been so much in life had she been alive. She would have been an amazing surgeon who could have saved numerous people. She could have been married to a good man and would have had a  beautiful child by now. She could have been so much, but all she is now is ash that will soon be deposited in the Ganges.

Suicide is a cowardly act. Oh, how I wish she thought twice. She ended her own life.

* * * * *

That night I sneaked out of the house. I found him where I hoped to find him. I found Aravind in the local bar near her campus. He was drunk beyond his wits as usual.

"I can take you to Devakshi." I whispered into his ears. "She's not dead."

He scrambled up and looked at me.

"Come with me." I lured him out from the bar to his destruction. He was the reason for her downfall. He shouldn't live, especially after running Akka's life. He laid the foundation stone to her death.

He walked behind me, in a drunken disorderly manner, emptying yet another bottle of local arrack.

A few minutes later we reached a deserted clearing laid with railway tracks. I made him stand between the train tracks.

"She faked her death so she could elope with you." I lied. "Stand here, she'll be coming in a few minutes. She's wearing a black sari and has a bright lamp on her hands. Spread out your arms and prepare to embrace her."

I turned back and started to walk back home.

A few meters away, I heard the train was approaching.

He died, just as I calculated. 

There was no proof of the rape, Akka isn't alive to testify too. Justice would have been a distant shot if I hadn't taken initiative.

* * * * *

I sigh.

"To Devakshi!" I say raising my glass before I drink it. "May your soul rest peacefully."

To be continued....

Glossary

Amma- Mother

Appa- Father

Akka- Elder sister

Rakshabandan-  This is a special Hindu festival which is celebrated in India and countries like Nepal to symbolize the love between a brother and a sister. On this day, a sister ties a rakhi around the wrist of her brother in order to pray for his prosperity, health and well-being. The brother in return offers a gifts and promises to protect his sister from any harm and under every circumstance.

Keep the votes and the comments flowing!

Also let me know what you think of the following through your comments

-What will happen next? Especially to Devakshi?

-What do you think about Anu and Sivaji? Would you be interested to read more about their university life with Madhav?

-Did you like Devakshi's character?

-What are your thoughts about crimes such as rape and murder?

Announcement!

It's Dedication Time! As a way of returning your unwavering love and support to the story, I have decided to dedicate ALL the chapters of this book to each reader.

I will no longer be asking questions, instead the person who will be submits the most number of inline comments for a featured chapter.

This week's featured chapter is  29 | The One with The Flashback 2/2.

The person who submits most inline comments will be getting a dedication.

PREVIOUS WEEK'S QUESTION: How does Shyaam know Devi?

Answer: They study in the same university. Shyaam likes Devi and wants to date her but Devi is hesitant. In addition, their older sibling (Madhav and Shree) are married. 

Winner (picking one since I can't dedicate to all those who answered correctly) Congratulations to @Megha_Sharma98