Eight

•

{The Memories She Couldn't Leave Behind}

Word Count; 4308

"Where are you off to?", Hana asked, leaning against Costa's doorframe.

The white-haired girl flinched, nearly jumping out of her own skin at her aunt's sudden appearance. She looked at her with a startled expression, "Hana! What the hell?!" Hana chuckled, walking into her niece's room and plopping down on her bed. Costa sat on her floor in front of her full-length mirror that hung on inside her closet door.

She was trying to tie her hair into two half-up-half-down ponytails, leaving her bouncy curls intact. She preferred her hair straight because it always looked so shiny but straightening her natural hair was a beast in itself. Spanish curls were too much of a hassle, her mother managed to teach her that much. She only had an hour before she was meeting her friends for dinner.

"Well? You didn't even answer the question", Hana said, grabbing her attention once more. Costa pulled a bobby pin out from between her teeth, sliding it into her hair. Her golden eyes met Hana's honey brown ones in the mirror and she sighed, "I'm going out with friends."

"Friends?!", Hana sat up instantly, a happy grin on her face, "Look at you- Ms.Popular! Making friends on your first week!"

"It's really nothing", Costa said, getting her hair tie caught up in her messy curls with a frustrated groan, "Why couldn't I be blessed with your straight hair?!"

"Are you kidding me...", Hana said in a 'what the fuck are you talking about' tone, "I have always envied your mom's curls- you know how many compliments she got on her hair when she was your age?"

"Yeah, yeah, everyone called her anoth-"

"Another Shakira! Do you know how much of a flex that is? People calling you Shakira? But I just got compared to some American white girl...", Hana said with an annoyed roll of her eyes. Costa giggled at her aunt, pouring a clear, liquid serum into her palm before scrunching it into her blonde curls.

"So are there gonna be any cute boys there?", Hana said with a suggestive wiggle of her eyebrows. Costa glared at her through the mirror, "Hana..."

"Or girls! I know you're at that age where you get curio-"

"HANA!", Costa whipped her head around to glare daggers at her aunt. Hana shrugged, ignoring her niece's obvious attempts at getting her to shut up, "Hey, when I was your age I kissed so many girls- I probably kissed more girls than guys-"