Sixty-Nine

.

{Mother}

.

Word Count; 5,939

There are a series of rhythmic brain patterns that occur in the human mind once a person "dies". When the heart stops beating, the brain is still active and experiences a sensation called, "life recall"- when a person experiences their life flashing before their eyes, just before the brain falls silent.

But in Costa's brain, she didn't see her life flash before her eyes. No. When that chemical reaction occurred, as soon as her heart stopped beating, she was sucked down, down, down into a core memory.

In a flash, she was thrown into a memory created not long ago.

It was the summer before her first-year of high school- specifically, the night before her first day enrolled at Shiketsu. She was sitting at the dining room table with her mother, with her father away on recovery, and the two of them were eating two bowls of macaroni and cheese.

Costa had requested it and given her mother had wanted to provide her with anything she wanted in praise of her getting into a prestigious hero academy program, she'd allowed it. They planned for a nice dinner but right as their butts hit the seats, the power had shut off and they'd been forced to open all the windows in the house and hover over a single candle on the table. They were dressed in their tank tops and shorts, sweating all over, and yet they were still laughing freely as if they weren't uncomfortable at all.

It was raining that night, Costa could smell it in the air.

"And what about boys, hm?" Sofia asked, her wildly long curls twisted up into a mom-clip. She sat with one of her feet propped up on the chair and she was fanning herself with the opposite hand she was eating with. Costa blew on her bite of Mac and cheese, scrunching up her little nose, "Ew, why would you ask that?"

"What?! You're a big girl now. What's wrong with boys?" Her mother smirked at her teasingly, just as Hana would have. They really were sisters. Costa wasn't much younger than she was now, but her hair was a little shorter, her eyes a tad less jaded as they glare at her mother. "No way," She scoffed dismissively.

"Hm, so no marriage then?"

"I didn't say that." Costa stabbed at her noodles, causing Sofia to snort in amusement. "I just think they're gross and annoying..."

Sofia smiled knowingly, reaching forward to pat her daughter on the arm. "One day you'll realize you want one, but you just gotta wait until the right one comes along. Until then, you just keep doing your thing, Okay?"