Seventy-One

.

{Falling Behind}

.

Word Count; 4,704

Going back to school was considerably more overwhelming than Costa had originally thought it to be. Although she dreaded the fact that everybody would simply stare at and talk about her wherever she went, she'd yearned for a sense of normalcy- routine. Yet, somehow, it didn't feel normal coming back to school at all.

The first day she'd slipped back into the uniform and walked that familiar route to class, Katsuki at her side, everything had kind of gone... blank. She'd held her breath nearly the whole time, eyes left unfocused as her heartbeat sped up abnormally fast. She had to grasp Katsuki's hand to stay walking straight, clenching her jaw shut as the anxiety followed her along with everyone's lingering eyes.

Seeing her classmates was less nerve-wracking, given they weren't sure what to do with her when she walked back through the door either. Costa took in their shocked expressions and sighs of relief before a blur of pink basically rocketed across the classroom at her.

Mina sobbed as she threw her arms around Costa and pulled her into a tight hug, causing Costa's shoulders to tense briefly. Then, Mina was squeezing her tight, digging her face into her shoulder as she exclaimed, "Thank god. Thank god, you're okay..."

Costa ended up hugging her back stiffly, unsure how to respond. Mina didn't falter from it though, pulling back to analyze her new "look", which she also didn't take too long commenting on since Katsuki told all of them to "back off for a while" that previous afternoon when the news broke that she was returning.

Costa's first day went by hazily, as well as the next, and then the one after that. She fell behind in drills, had to sit out of some fights, and even left class early to vomit her guts out in the girls locker room stall before collapsing onto the floor, staring at nothing for half an hour straight until one of the girls came in to check on her.

She also started the training lessons with Aizawa, which were going more than poorly.

Costa couldn't summon a single whisp. She spent over an hour that first session trying to figure out how to activate her new ability, but she was incapable of producing anything but light. She just didn't know what it'd felt like to create that kind of element and her mind was too messed up to even try and put herself back into that... dark mindset. She'd decided she simply didn't want to, she refused to.

Therefore, she made zero progress on controlling her quirk, much to her and Aizawa's disappointment.

As for counseling, she'd smugly skipped her first session- slept through it, actually. She really needed the extra sleep, considering the lack of it she'd been having recently but Aizawa hadn't been joking when he said he'd keep track of her attendance. In fact, he'd pulled her right out of hero training class that same afternoon, just to send her straight to Ms.Kamaki's office with "no buts" about it.