Forty-One

Happy New Years Eve!🎉

{Truths}

Word Count ; 8,521

Costa flexed her fingers, the leather in her gloves groaning as she stretched them out.

The cover of night created a hushed atmosphere among three young heroes, perched in darkness, looking over the alit storefront. Costa crouched on the window ledge of a three-story building across the street, eyes flicking over the bright lights of the city. A breeze swept her braid back and she drew out a long breath, adjusting her position as her thighs began to grow numb.

She kept half her attention on the Western rooftop where Bakugou was posted, right where they scouted the day before. She couldn't see any movement but she knew he was there. She could imagine his tufts of blonde poking over the edge. The thought made her lips curve slightly.

Then there was the sliver of her attention that remained on the eastern alleyway, a dark crevice between two taller business buildings. Dumpsters poked out with green lids and dents in the metal body. She knew a particular white-haired sidekick was surely hiding behind one of them. Costa clicked her tongue, sticking her chin out as she avoided glancing that way.

Kamui had explained their mission throughly after they patrolled for half the day. He claimed he wanted the secrecy of night in order to carry out what he had planned for them. For the hero commission had warranted a search of the innocent-looking storefront's sketchy cellar and the three of them were the ones ordered to carry it out.

After the information regarding the suspicious activity Bakugou and Costa had delivered to Kamui the day before, they had all they needed to make a move. And they weren't the only ones taking action. Last night, the agency was tipped off with the indication that one of the gang's large shipments was occurring tonight. A truck was said to arrive at eleven on the dot, causing their mission to stretch out into the late hours of the night.

Costa didn't mind of course, anything to be on a real case. Plus, she enjoyed seeing the colorful streetlights. The city seemed livelier at night, with pedestrians exploring in wistful strides, soaking in the breeze of the urban wind. Costa smiled as the breeze fanned her face once more. She could imagine herself exploring these streets at night, hugging her jacket closer to her as she took in all that was before her. Endless possibilities. The fantasy made her hopeful.

Something in the corner of her eye grabbed at her attention. A white truck with a familiar delivery company label plastered to its side. She tucked in closer to the wall, masking herself in the shadows as she peered forward. Kamui had told them that their alias was the Dewy-Bakery Shipping Service- which was actually a legit company in Japan. But that's why it worked so well, no one would bat an eye at a well-known delivery company arriving at a small-owned bakery in the city to deliver goods.