Sixty-Seven

.

{Father}

.

Word Count; 6,122

A couple hours of burning agony had gone by before Dabi came back into the room and demanded Costa push her hands through the bars and behave as he treated her wounds.

She complied, only because she'd never experienced anything so physically painful in her entire life. When he'd pulled out a large plastic bottle and poured cool water over her burns, she cried out in pain, pressing her brow into the hard metal of the bars. He put ointment on her and wrapped her hands in white bandages, not once looking up into her eyes.

They didn't say anything to each other during that interaction. It was not until Costa had pulled her hands back through the bars, cradling them against her chest, that Dabi let out a long sigh and looked at her.

"You make me do such frustrating things." He said with a shake of his head, pursing his lips. "How much longer are we gonna play this game, angel?"

"Fuck off, prick." Costa kicked herself away from the bars, scooting toward the cot. Dabi shook his head again, rolling his eyes as he stood up.

"I'll come change those bandages later, after the plans I have in store for you this afternoon." Dabi said to her. She almost didn't catch the excited gleam in his blue irises. A crawling sense of fear skittered up her neck as he put his arm up against her cell. "I have a gift, just for you. Packaged all the way from Okinawa."

Costa narrowed her eyes at him. Mirko and Hawkes had been in Okinawa when Dabi was visiting one of his contacts. But Costa didn't know the specifics about who he was meeting or what exactly he was doing there. Whatever gift he'd brought her, she didn't want it.

"Don't bother, it's not my birthday." She glared up at him and he laughed, his lips pulling into a half-smile. His voice dropped into a lilt as he stared down at her through the bars,

"How old are you anyway? Sixteen? Seventeen?"

"Seventeen."

He let out a low whistle, followed by a slow chuckle that made Costa's skin crawl. She shivered in disgust, curling in on herself. Dabi crouched down, propping his elbows up on his knees as he told her, "You're still so young. Still so much to learn."

"Don't patronize me, freak."

"We'll have to do something about that filthy mouth of yours," He tilted his head to the side, his eyes dropping down to her lips. "It might be pretty but you've already gotten yourself into too much trouble too many times."