Twenty-Two

•

{The Kiss That Melted a Frozen Heart}

Word Count ; 4990

Costa paced outside Bakugou's room stationed in the Emergency Room of Ashoka City Hospital, chewing on her nails anxiously. They'd been there for over an hour already, the doctors treating Bakugou's severe chemical burns. Costa crossed her arms over her chest, tucking her hands into her armpits so that she couldn't bite her nails any longer, eyes flicking up to the clock on the hallway's wall repeatedly.

She was stressing, for multiple reasons. She didn't expect returning from clearing the backstreets of the bank to find Bakugou curled up in a ball in the middle of the road, screaming and crying in agony. She also didn't expect to come face-to-face with the ringleader of the criminal organization, the mastermind of the whole ordeal.

She remembered how her brain kicked into gear at the sight of Bakugou, her hero instincts taking full effect at that very moment.

"Stop it! Whatever you're doing, stop it!" she called out as Bakugou started violently shaking in his crouched position in the street. The man gave her a Cheshire cats grin, his eyes flashing evilly as he took a step toward her. She grit her teeth when a deep chuckle rumbled from his chest.

"What's done is done, sweetheart," he said, lifting his shoulders into a slight shrug, "The only person that can save him now is himself." His eyes fanned over to Bakugou's hunched-over form, his body contorting in pain. Costa's gaze followed and she swallowed, her heart squeezing at the sight of him.

"You're torturing him," she breathed out, her eyes filling to the brim with nothing but raw fury, "Give him back."

"The effects are done," the man spat out, irritated by her tone of voice as she'd spewed demands at him, "There's nothing I can do. He'll be in his own personal hell from now on until he finds a way to break it himself."

Her eyes burned as she stared at Bakugou. His spikey blonde locks were wild as he gripped at his roots, every muscle in his body locked into a tense state of distress, his eyes squeezed shut and leaking with salty tears. She swallowed and tore her gaze away from his form, eyes focusing on the villain grinning at her.

"I'm gonna destroy you."

"You know, you and your friend say the same things," he said before a dark look came over his features, "And I'm really getting sick of it."

He tilted his hat back just as she lunged. Their eyes met as she flew through the air and he grinned, activating his quirk.