A New Start, My Derrière (49)

Chapter Forty Nine~

I saw Aidan and my father behind me talking between the two of them. I raised an eyebrow and wondered what they were discussing behind my back. I shrugged it off as questions over flowed my brain. “Dad, where are we staying for the next two weeks?” I asked

“With a friend” He laughed as it was some sort of joke, which neither Aidan or I got...

“Are you okay?” Aidan asked wrapping his arm on my shoulders

“Yeah; I'm just tired...”

“And love sick...” He murmured

“That too” I laughed

I turned to see my father struggling with four carryon bags “Need any help?” I asked

“NO!” He said a little too quickly

“Why not?” I asked with an eyebrow raised

“Aidan can help me it’s far too heavy for you” He laughed

 With a grumble of complaint from Aidan he collected two more bags. Dad called a taxi and we were driving past streets I remembered passing in the other direction. I smiled as I remembered where I was going “Dad why are we going to my old house?” I asked as the taxi stumbled to a stop outside the white picket fence and the Victorian house. The roses growing along the sides the ones my mother kept an eye on endlessly; the roses she told me off for picking and ‘ruining’ the layout.

I smiled at the tree on the lawn with the initials ‘V.H and Z.T’ carved in the heart in the tree itself. “I called around and the house is still on the market it’s too expensive apparently. The housing agent Michael Pierce said we could stay for a couple of hours” my father explained.

“And then what?” I asked

“We’ve booked a hotel; five stars with a great restaurant” He smiled

“Cool” I said shrugging my shoulders I didn’t particularly want to spend Christmas in a fancy hotel.

I walked in to my old house to see nothing out of the ordinary it was empty as it could get everything worth anything I got and the things that weren’t were given to charity shops or friends of hers. I traced my fingers on the old banister the one she put up herself after argument after argument for getting a professional to do it.

She insisted that women don’t rely on men. Now I realised how true her words were...

I walked up to my old room and looked behind the door. The height chart increasing each and every year; Aidan had one in his room every time he stayed here the heights never matched after we turned thirteen; his growing just increased leaving me trailing on an average height.

The home I grew up in smelled the same minus the smell of burning cookies in the oven. My mom was never a great cook, but she never gave up; she tried and tried to cook whatever there was in the world only to make it look, smell and taste just as good as a can of crap.

I looked out the window I used to, to gaze at the boy I somewhat hated and now the boy I never wanted to lose and yet I had.  I remembered him being the short skinny kid who used to prank me with rubber spiders and flies in ice cubes. Him running around in his cowboy pyjamas chasing me down the street with our mom’s calling back for us.

So memories were held in this tiny little house and the one next door. I laughed out loud when his mom said he was screaming like a girl; when there was a spider on his shoulder just a tiny little house spider.

Who knew that he liked me back then? I sure as hell didn’t.

I glanced at the walls and saw small indents within; after many, many fights gone wrong. I walked into my mom’s old room and saw one last photo that hadn’t been taken along with everything else. I took a closer look and saw it was a photo of me and Zach when we were eight.