A New Start, My Derrière (47)

Chapter Forty Seven ~

The Night of the Winter Wonderland.

“Alice, stop pacing around my room, you’re giving me a headache” I said putting on the last of my eye liner.

“Sorry” She said still pacing

“Alice!”

“What? Oh Sorry...” She said plopping onto my bed

“Seriously what’s going on with you?” I said shaking my head at her eagerness

“I’ve never been to a dance before!” She said running her hands through her hair again...

“Technically neither have I, but I'm coping REALLY well compared to you” I laughed

“But-“

“No buts’ get ready”

“Can you do my hair?” She asked taking deep breaths

“Sure” I said swivelling on my chair bringing my make up bag with me. “How do you want it?”

“Urmm like a fancy up do?” She said not having a clue

“Okay...” I put the curlers on and waited for them to heat up; I tied up her hair in to a low bun; curling the edges and part her bangs to fall gently down her face. “Done”

“Wow” Alice said smiling applying her make up

I curled my hair making it flow on one side; adding small flower pins in my hair. My hair seemed to be longer than I thought; it was half way down my back... Tonight as going to be a night to remember. Zach and I have become inseparable always seen talking and flirting, but he hasn’t told me what’s been bothering him – hopefully that’s going to change.

I took out our dresses from the closet held in dry cleaning bags. Alice put on her deep purple strapless number and I was slightly hesitant to put mine on...

“Vanessa; you’re going to look amazing.” Alice said reassuring me.

“I'm just not sure...”

“Come on; you’re going to make your mom’s dress look amazing” Alice smiled

“I don’t know; she looked amazing in the photos...” I murmured

“And you will too” Alice gave me a one handed hug

“I guess, but I want to do the dress justice”

“Put the dress on Vanessa Heart” Alice laughed slipping on her black high heels

I opened the bag and held the white dress in my arms. I found the dress when I was looking for the curlers. It was in a box marked “Back in the Day” There were baby clothes and my old crib. It was underneath wedding photos which looked so cute it was unbelievable that it were my parents in it.

I got it dry cleaned and hey presto I'm putting it on for my winter formal. I put on my silver peep toe high heels and collected my silver clutch. I looked in my floor length mirror and gasped at my reflection. I couldn’t recognise myself – I looked too much like my mother.

“You look amazing Van” Alice said coming from behind me.

“Thanks...” I said taking a few more glances.

A knock on my door interrupted my gaze. “Come in”

A timid looking Aidan walked in carrying a corsage in one hand and rose in the other. “Hey...” He blushed

I shoved Alice into his direction; “Oooh hey” She laughed

“You look great Alice; as per usual” He said kissing her cheek