A New Start, My Derrière (39)

Chapter Thirty Nine 

-----------------------

(Aidan's POV)

I definitely had too much to drink last night. I would suggest never drinking again, but we all know that's a lie. My hangover was killing me and my head felt as if someone was yelling in my ear with a megaphone.

After a while of getting ready, having a couple of breaks to throw my guts up I checked my phone.

18 missed calls. Shit. All of which were from my dad, that's never a good sign. This better not be about the party, because I know I'm screwed, but I don't really care...

I yawn and ring my dad's cell. "HELLO?!?" My father yells down at me. "WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN!?!?!" still yelling.

"Dad chill, I'm fine..."

"NOT THE POINT GET YOUR ASS DOWN TO THE HOSPITAL NOW!" he demands

"What why?"

"YOUR SISTER"

"What about her?"

"SHE GOT RUN OVER LAST NIGHT DURING YOUR LITTLE PARTY."

"You're kidding right?"

"SON, DO I SOUND LIKE I'M KIDDING?"

"Maybe, I don't know..."

"I AM NOT KIDDING! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE!!!"

"I'll be there as soon as I can."

Shit.

No one fucking hurts my little sister. I sprint out the door and get in my car. Driving like a maniac aong the way - hoping no cops saw the speed I was going in. I can't go to prison, not now. Not when my sister needed me...

I park the car and run towards the A and E, asking which ever doctor/nurse I saw. Asking where she was and I saw my father standing outside one of the rooms wearing his white coat. Frustration and anger in his eyes, yet the sadness of his facial features I could tell he had mixed emotions about the situation.

"DAD!" I yell down the hallway

"Son." He said not looking my way.

"How is she!?!" I ask breathless

"Not good, she's in a coma..."

"She's going to wake up right?"

"It's too early to tell..."

"Fuck..." I say sitting on one of the chairs outside the room...

"Language..." My father tells me

"You know dad, at times like these cursing helps."

"I know, but I have to take control in some way or another. I can't help your sister now..." He says sitting beside me

"Dad it's not your fault..." I say wrapping an arm around his shoulders

"It's not yours either..." He replies.

Though I know it is. I remember last night, Vanessa came home and saw the mess I made at home and was pissed at me. If I did what she told me to none of this would've happened.

I took my arm away and put my hands to my face and started crying; obviously I'm not the crying type, but at times like these it's needed.

(James Heart's POV)

When I got the call, I was disgusted at myself how could I let my own daughter to get hit by a drunk driver. I was the one who taught her to cross the road and the one who should've protected her. The day I leave town for a day or two she get's herself in this mess...

I should've been there for her more, to teach her what to do without me at home...

Losing her mother was hard enough for a girl her age, but having to grow up from now on without a female figure. She had no one to talk to her about boys, female hormones and have the talk about sex.

I know I'm the dad who's supposed to warn her about it all, but it's not my place to do so. Only a mother should tell her about the birds and the bees...

Aidan and I had a heart to heart, I know he feels guilty and so do I...

It's been weeks and no progress whatsoever. She just lays there like an angel sleeping peacefully, we've had close encounters of losing her, but she's pulled through each time. The lad Tyler Gray has stopped by numerous times a day checking on her to find every detail of recovery.

Not one sign of the Zachary boy, he's staying away. I know he didn't do this, but it doesn't stop others from thinking it.

Aidan's missed school most of the time since the accident. He's been staying here every night since; trying to wake Vanessa up, reading her the newspaper, bringing by her music and even having conversations with her...

He repeats the same line everyday and night. "She's going to wake up. She HAS to wake up" Whether he was convincing me or himself I didn't know.

So tonight's no different to any of the others, Aidan and I sitting on the seats in Vanessa's room watching her 'sleep.' There's been slight progress and my colleague Dr. J Davis, is her doctor and said she should come around soon three weeks tops.

I know you're thinking that's not a long period of time, but having your daughter be in a coma for a month already. Three weeks flies by before you know it so, mark your calendars. In three weeks time my baby girl's opening those beautiful brown eyes of hers.

Alice pops by every now and then in her words 'giving us space,' but she's already a part of this family there's no need for space. Aidan's not been getting any sleep though I keep promising she's going to be here when he wakes up.

I look over to Vanessa every three seconds to see if anything changes and I know already know there hasn't, but missing the second your daughter's eyes open will be the one I regret.

"Dad?" A voice asks me, I look in Aidan's direct and see he wasn't asleep.

"Yes son?"

"She is going to wake up right?"

"Of course, she's a Heart and hearts always pull through..." I laugh

"Not funny dad..."

"Pffft, you've lost your sense of humour."

"No dad I really haven't"

"Prove it then."

"Knock knock" Aidan asks

"Who's there?"

"Spell."

"Spell who?"

"Ok W - H - O" He burst in to a fit of laughter

"Not funny"

"Oh come one! You have to admit that was funny!" Aidan cries out.

"Nope not even a smirk..."

"Boring old sod..." Aidan mumbles crossing his arms over his chest.

"I heard that!" I yell at him

"Damn! I wasted money on your hearing aid this Christmas"

------------------------------

If you like this story:  

Don't forget to comment, vote and become a fan :)