A New Start, My Derrière (41)

Chapter Forty One 

-------------------------

She looks up and smiles at me, a smile not reaching her eyes. Their game finishes, and she scribbles a sentence down on the board.

'Are you my father?'

"Yes."

'Where's mom?'

"Sugar..."

"Urm dad?" Aidan catches my attention

"Yeah..." I look up

"Can I speak to you for a minute?" He asks

"Urmm I guess..." I say getting up from my seat, to walk to the back of the room. A safe distance away from my childlike daughter.

"What are we going to say?"

"Nothing about her yet..."

"Then what? We both know she won't live this down. If she wants something she'll get it..."

"I know, I know, but she's getter better everyday this'll just knock her off her feet."

"So what do we tell her?" He asks with the look his mother gave him. The one she would use to make me feel guilty even if I had done nothing wrong.  

"Right, she's moved away, she's been gone for years and never to keep in contact with any of us. Me and her are divorced and drifted apart. You two came to live with me and we're happy."

"Okay."

So we explained everything in the best possible way to protect her. She's not ready to remember the death of her mother. Not when we've just began to recover from it...

She nodded in somewhat of an agreement, something tells me it's not going to be the last that we're going to mention Sophia Mason.

It's the day Vanessa's being released from the hospital. She's as good as she'll be with the hospital's help. Giving her a six month therapist to help her 'remember' which is fairly useless in my opinion, but what do I know? I've just had a twenty year medical experience...

We were in the hospital collecting the  last of Vanessa's belongings. Alice came to help out; having her missed female companionship for the last two months. I take a quick glance at how much everyone supported Vanessa in her recovery even if it's just sending her flowers and 'Get well' cards.

We packed up and checked her out making the short distance home. A nervous look spreads across my daughter's face as she sees the house for the first time.

Alice's POV

I came to help Vanessa; she needs me, even if she can't say it. I collect her things and we take her home. Tyler's being clingy and far too desperate to help; maybe he just wants to see Vanessa's pants whilst I was packing them...

I'm getting worried about Zach, he's been absent from school a lot since her accident, when he is in he seems to always find an excuse to skip class... 

He's always tired and being everyone, but himself. Rumour has it that he's been partying and drinking away his problems, sleeping around with girls far too easy to be considered as one night stands. I'm too worried about him and what this could do with Vanessa, she'll remember him one day and I don't know if I can help her...

Vanessa hesitantly walks in inside, as if she was sensing she wasn't welcome. I take her to her room which she scans touching everything with her fingertips as she was in a shrine dedicated to someone else. I sit on her bed and unpack her things.