Chapter Forty-Six

WARNING: THIS STORY IS KINDA OLD SO IT'S KINDA CRINGE. I WAS YOUNGER WHEN I WROTE IT. JUST KEEP THAT IN MIND!

Eventually, the group of teenagers left Logan's house, Patton saying he was going to stay over for a bit longer.

Everyone has said their byes, Emily and Remy flying off together, while Virgil walked with the twins for a bit before he took off into the sky as well, saying he had something important to do.

Roman still had Virgil's hoddie draped over his wing and stump.

"So I was thinking," Remus began.

"That isn't a good thing," Roman teased, earning fingers jabbing into his side.

"So what if we skip school and just go hang out with Janus instead?" Remus suggested, kicking a small stone onto the road.

Roman gave him a look, "We can't really do that."

His brother laughed, "I mean, we kinda have to? You're in too much pain to hide your wing and go to school."

Roman realized he had a point.

"But then that'd be just me staying home, not you," he pointed out.

Remus gave him a glare, "And leave you alone with that bastard of a man we have to call our dad? Yeah, no."

Roman forgot their father was going to look out for them starting tomorrow. He didn't know how to feel about it, his emotions were mixed.

"I'd be fine on my own, not like he'll hurt me," Roman attempted to calm his twin down, but it only seemed to worsen it.

"He could still hurt you emotionally!"

"I can just stay in my room, only get out if needed!"

"No! You're still alone with him!"

"Remus, I don't need you protecting me! I'm 17! You should worry about getting a job, not me!"

"I DO have to protect you! What if something bad happens again?!"

"Bad? Again?"

Remus had tears building in his eyes, his feathers puffing out, "I couldn't protect you before, so now I have to."

Roman was frustrated and concerned, as well as confused, "What do you mean before? I don't have a single memory of you not being by my side, telling everyone to fuck off if they were even the slightest rude to me. When have you not been glued to my side?"

Remus didn't answer. He just kept walking, keeping his head down.

Roman was really worried now. If Remus was quiet, he was most likely upset.

The twins walked in silence after their argument. Remus seemed to be calming down, and Roman was trying to focus on something else instead of his pain.

Remus cleared his throat, "I, uh,"

Roman jumped slightly, but looked over, waiting patiently for his brother to speak.

"That day when I was trying to help you fly for the first time and then the.. tornado hit.."

Roman stiffened, already hating this conversation.

"When it swept you and took you away, I tried to fly after. But mom grabbed me, pulling me inside. I bit her, punched her, kicked her, did everything I could to get her to let go so I could try and.. save you."

"But she didn't let go. Soon our.. dad came home, looking panicked, asking if we were ok. Once mom explained what happened between her cries, he took off, opening the door and taking off into the sky to save you."