III

What I want?

     What I want?

"A son?" I asked, recalling the words of the purple fairy from earlier.

"A son..." He thought for a moment. "That's what you want?"

"Y- yes it is. But how? I can't have kids."

"Call it..." he tapped his chin thinking about the right word to use and he finally said, "Divine intervention."

"And what do you want in return?"

"Pardon?"

"You magic people always want something in exchange for your help. I've heard of these things, and I'm not stupid."

"Hm. This son that I'm going to give you is going to be made in my image. He will not be like all of you people..." he spat with disdain, taking slow steps and circling me. " He will be more of me than you; not feeling...somehow soulless. Perfect for me, yet hell for you. I'll be back one day to collect my debt. That's my price."

That sounded horrible. How could I have a son that had no soul? I was about to tell him no and to shove it until I thought about my parents. This was all for them to begin with, and there was no way I could let them die when Julius found out about my lie.

I paced the stone floor of the garden and came to a halt, reaching a decision and completely disregarding the warnings of the fairies from earlier. "Fine. I'll take it." He crossed his arms and smiled, seemingly not surprised by my answer. "So what now?" I asked.

He took a step towards me, and I took one back, unsure of the stranger's intentions. We continued the strange dance until he stopped and clicked his tongue, clearly annoyed by my actions. "I'm going to kiss you, Genesis."

"Why?"

"Just trust me," he coaxed me, his voice oozing a tenderness I hadn't heard anyone use with me in so long. He took another step towards me, one that I didn't back away from, and his fingers tucked a few strands behind my ear. His hand circled to the nape of my neck, and I sucked in a breath as his eyes charcoal eyes fell onto my lips.

"What are you-"

His lips connected with mine in a slow yet purposeful movement, and I froze, my hands moving to his chest to push him away. As he deepened the kiss, I found myself kissing him back, a mix of shock at my actions and awe of him running through me. He was a stranger, and I wasn't this reckless anymore, but I couldn't stop him. If I was honest with myself, I didn't want to.

His hands moved to my exposed legs from my dress and my arms wrapped around his neck, his sweet oak and metallic smell drawing me in. The lanterns in the garden flickered on and off, perhaps warning me to get out while I could, yet the thrill of his touch kept me firmly in place.

He lifted my legs around his waist, and within a quick moment, I felt the rough splinters of a tree against my back, making me wince. I sucked in a cool, painful breath, and his lips moved to my neck, making me forget all about the wood scratching through the thin material of my dress.