-Chapter 85-

James sat on the bed and played with the action figure I bought him while he watched an animated film on the TV

James sat on the bed and played with the action figure I bought him while he watched an animated film on the TV. I picked him up a few hours ago after I completed the mission Lucifer sent me on, and contrary to my beliefs, he was thrilled at the thought of meeting my father.

A funny part of the movie popped up and James began giggling as he pat my shoulder. I turned to him and raised my brow. "Yes?"

"Did you see?" he asked as he pointed at the TV in excitement.

"No. I wasn't paying attention," I admitted as I sat up in the bed. He frowned and turned back to the TV. "Tell me what happened."

He turned back to me and a smile appeared on his face again as he recounted the events of the movie. Of course, he wasn't making any sense to me, but I inserted a few 'wows' and he was happy.

A knock on the door made James and I turn to it and I walked to it. Before I could fully open it, Lucifer strode in past me. "So I was thinking about a plan and one word popped into my head: Blackmail!" he rambled as he stormed into my hotel room.

"Uh-huh."

He was about to continue but halted his steps at the sight of James. "What is that?" he asked as he pointed to him.

James looked up at him curiously and I closed the door. "That is a child, father."

"I figured. But whose?" He eyed James like he was a foreign entity he'd never seen before.

"That priest guy...I told you I kept the kid," I muttered.

Remembrance passed his features and he nodded. "I forgot."

James looked at me as if to ask me if he was okay to talk to and I nodded. I never restricted him from talking to anyone but ever since I met him, he seemed to seek my permission first.

"I'm James," he said in a tiny voice as he held out his hand. I crossed my arms and nodded proudly at the gesture.

I taught him that.

My father glanced at me strangely and then looked back to James. Like I've mentioned, Hell wasn't used to children at all so even my father was lost. By the time he had to take care of me, I was already old enough to be independent. So he had no idea about what to do with kids- hell, neither did I.

He looked at James's outstretched hand and hesitantly held his out. "I'm Lucifer."

"Like the Devil, right?" James asked.

"That's the one," he responded as he removed his hand from James's hold and dangled it in the air like it needed to be disinfected. He looked around the room and looked at the TV. "What the hell is that?"

"It's a cartoon!" James said with a giggle.

"Ew." James smiled and turned his attention back to the TV and my father turned to me. "We need to talk."