-Chapter 33-

I laid my head on the pillow and looked over at James and Syn

I laid my head on the pillow and looked over at James and Syn. James had fallen asleep in his arms and Syn was enraptured in watching the animated film I had turned on for the kid. I had a feeling that James would bring out a nicer side of Syn. To me, he was never a mean person but I was curious how he'd be around someone else he liked.

"I'm going to take him to his room," Syn said as he stood up with James in his arms. I muttered an okay and kept my eyes on the TV.

"Pause it," Syn said sternly.

"You're seriously watching?" I said with a smirk. I always found Syn's fascination with cartoons hilarious, he always tried to deny it but if you left him alone in front of a TV all day, that's all he would watch.

"Yes," he said as he stood in the middle of the room waiting for me to pause the movie. I rolled my eyes as I grabbed the remote from my nightstand and paused the movie. A satisfied Syn nodded and carried James out of the room, and I shook my head.

My phone vibrated and I expected a text from Queen but I groaned when I read Jess's name. I liked her a lot more than I cared to admit, but she wasn't over her ex. At all.

She would talk about him to me every chance she got and I would listen like the good friend I was, but I could only get my hopes crushed so many times. Every time I felt like I was getting close to her she would say something that would make me rethink whether or not she felt the same way about me.

I sighed as my hand hovered over her contact. A part of me wanted to open it, but the other part just wanted to completely forget about her. I ran my hand through my hair in frustration and thought about yesterday. I was so stupid to ask her out, but I couldn't help it.

And now look at you. Pitiful.

All the signs were there though, I could've sworn she would give me a chance, but I guess that's what I got for wishful thinking.

Yesterday

I knocked on Jess' door for the second time, but she still hadn't answered. 'I mean she could be asleep', I thought. Why would she ask me to bring her food just to fall asleep on me?

I moved the bag of food to my other hand and I knocked one more time. If she didn't answer this time I would just wait until tomorrow. A moment later I heard footsteps coming to the door and I couldn't stop the smile that appeared on my face.

You haven't even seen her yet, stop being weird X.

I took a deep breath as I listened to my inner life coach and I put a serious look on my face.

Jess opened the door and I tried to resist the urge to stare at her but failed. Her pink hair was in a messy bun on top of her head, exposing her cute pointed ears. She wore a large blue t-shirt paired with black biker shorts and her face was scrunched up in a grimace.