-Chapter 23-

I took a swig of the whiskey and laid back in my bed, satisfied that I was back in the palace yet feeling horrible about what happened with Queen

I took a swig of the whiskey and laid back in my bed, satisfied that I was back in the palace yet feeling horrible about what happened with Queen. As weak as it made me sound, I did want to explore things with her. I had only gotten a taste of how it felt to be with her, and I wanted more.

How pathetic.

She was a liar, right? Why would I want anything to do with her?

Except...a feeling of something being off was nagging at me. I tried pressing Xyla for more information about this supposed stalker, but she was on Xavier's side, who was still adamant that Queen made it all up.

What was up with everyone not trusting her? Was she a liar and I just couldn't see it? That seemed unlikely. I was good at reading people...some people would say great, but I had trouble with in-depth analyzations...which is where I relied on Xavier. His intuition was a lot more reliable than my own and I had never questioned his judgment...until today.

I knew our past with his ex-girlfriend kept him on high alert where lies were concerned, but surely he wouldn't have let that impact his actions today, right? My mind was full of repeated questions about everything, but they all boiled down to one.

Could I trust Xavier's gut more than my own? Because right now, my instincts were telling me that we let Queen leave the house in a city she didn't know, without her phone or means to get home. "Fuck." I sighed, sitting up and taking out my phone. There was no way I was going to be able to sleep if I didn't figure this shit out.

I dialed Xavier's phone number and put it on speaker, staring down at the floor. "Hello," he spoke, the tiredness evident in his voice. "Syn, it's two in the morning."

"I know I just needed to talk to you for a minute."

"What's up?"

"Are we sure that Queen was lying?"

"Syn..."

"What reason would there be to lie?" I questioned. "She just met us."

"I don't know. Maybe she's crazy."

"She didn't seem crazy, Xavier." I rubbed my forehead, trying to recall all the moments I spent with her.

"Syn, a lot of people don't seem crazy. I know it's hard for you to see people's true intentions, but you need to trust me. I've been by your side forever, I wouldn't call her a liar if she wasn't one. I liked her a lot too."

"Okay."

"Try to get some rest and stop thinking about it. We have better things to worry about." I nodded, listening to his words. The line remained quiet for a few seconds and I heard him sigh. "You're going to go look for her, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am." I stood up, getting ready to go. "Even if it was all a lie, I need to ask her why face to face."

"Be careful, Syn."