-Chapter 51-

I arrived home later than I expected

I arrived home later than I expected. My mother dragged me through a lot more stores than I had originally planned on going to, and she had this need to stay in each one for hours. I took a quick shower and got into bed with Queen, being careful not to wake her.

I tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and she stirred in her sleep, a faint smile appeared on her face. I lay on my side facing her and I couldn't help, but admire her beauty. Not just physically, but every single part of her. We hadn't gotten the chance to reveal our secrets to one another, but I knew there was truly nothing that she could tell me that would send me away.

I looked over at the clock at my bedside and saw 1:24am.
Realizing what this meant, I cupped her cheek and laid a kiss on her forehead. "Happy birthday, Princess." I whispered.

Almost as if she'd heard me through her sleep, she snuggled into my body and spread her arm across my chest.

I let out an exhale and I relaxed into the bed and her hold. With the steady and rhythmic sound of her heartbeat and soft snores, I let myself drift to sleep along with her.

A phone ringing in the room made me shoot up from my bed, momentarily forgetting about the sleeping beauty on top of me. Queen rubbed her eyes beside me and was about to wake up and I quickly grabbed my phone and shut it off, not bothering to check the caller.

"What happened?" Queen asked with a yawn.

"Nothing, Princess. Go back to sleep," I said in a soothing voice, raising the blanket back over her and kissing her cheek. After a few moments she fell back asleep and I slipped out of the bed and into the restroom with my phone.

I rolled my eyes as I looked at the caller and shook my head. I spent the entire day with her, what did she need now? Calling the number back, I held my phone up to my ear and paced the restroom impatiently.

"Hello," my mother whispered.

"Why are you whispering?" I asked.

"Because it's 4am," she said quietly.

"Then why are you calling?" I hissed.

She ignored my tone and continued speaking, "It's Queen's birthday."

At her words, my anger faded and I stopped pacing, leaning against the marble counter. "I'm aware."

"How are you giving her the gifts?"

"Mother, we went over this ten times. I got this," I assured her. The lack of faith in my skills was almost insulting at this point.

"You wrapped the gifts?" She asked.

"You watched me do it." I pinched the bridge of my nose.

"I'm sorry, I just want everything to be perfect," she admitted.

I took a deep breath and shook my head softly. "I understand. I'll see you in the morning, mother."

"Okay," she whispered loudly, making me move my phone from my ear.