-Chapter 14-

For the next few days, strange occurrences took place between Syn and I

For the next few days, strange occurrences took place between Syn and I. Every night, we would somehow end up in the library, whether it was me or him arriving first. There weren't many words exchanged between either of us as we worked, but it was a nice change from wanting to avoid him at every chance I could.

He was still as rude as always when we did speak, but it became manageable; especially for me when I could finally take notes on him in close proximity. Right now, I needed to work on gaining a semblance of his trust that he guarded so heavily. Only then would I try to get to know him more.

"Queen, can you focus?" Xyla snapped, snatching my phone from my hand. "Why have you been so distracted lately?"

"I'm not," I defended.

"I have been talking to you for the past few minutes, and you look like you're hardly listening."

"I'm listening."

"Then what did I say?"

I fiddled with the strings of my hoodie, and frowned. "Okay...so I didn't hear that part," I admitted.

"Oh my gosh!" She exploded.

"Relax, I'm listening now. You have all my attention," I babbled. "What's wrong?"

"I'm fucking stressed out." She sighed, plopping herself into the chair. "Syn and I need to gain support from home, but he won't even consider going to church there just once without asking about Hell."

"He wants you to go to Hell?"

"I don't know. I've asked twice about him visiting Eden and he just throws back the Underworld."

"That seems...fair..." I said in a cautious tone, making her mouth drop as she looked at me in shock. "What? If he has to go to Heaven, why can't you go to Hell?"

"Queen, is your head okay?! Can you imagine what everyone back home would say if they found out I went to Hell?!" She roared.

"What about the people in Hell, hmm?" I asked. "Aren't you thinking about what they'd say about him if he went to Heaven to go to church?"

"Whose side are you on?" She asked, throwing her hands in the air and shooting up from the chair before pacing the small area in front of my spot on her bed. "In Heaven, I'm help up to a higher standard that would be tarnished if I were to take a step into Hell."

"A standard that wouldn't be tarnished anyway if you were to marry the man?"

"It's different."

"It's not," I probed. "It actually might be worse if you think about it."

She sighed, shaking her head. "Life would be so much easier if I could just marry Felix," she vocally contemplated. "I wouldn't have to worry about my soul making it into Heaven, stepping into Hell, or dealing with an asshole who barely texts back."