-Chapter 39-

My hands remained in Mia's chest as she coughed up blood, and I looked at her with a blank stare

My hands remained in Mia's chest as she coughed up blood, and I looked at her with a blank stare. For years I'd been wanting to do this, but never had the motivation to go against the entire kingdom and her father's army. Now I did. Pictures of the brutal way in which she drained Queen of life were running through my mind, making my chest ache and tempting me into the usual numbness I felt inside before her.

"Syn, don't do this." My mother said in a shaky voice from beside me as she looked between Mia and me. "I want her gone too, I do. But we can't do it like this. Vitus will destroy us, Syn."

"I don't give a shit about Vitus," I growled, squeezing the weak excuse of a heart Mia carried in her chest. My eyes met hers, and an insurmountable amount of anger flashed through my body. I froze at the familiar feeling of warmth traveling through my body, wrapping itself around my bones like a snake. I groaned at a sharp pain in my rib cage, and hunched over, holding a hand over my chest.

"Syn?" My mother asked, taking a careful step toward me. "What's going on?" In the distance, we heard a howling of wolves in the distance and my mother froze, her eyes widening as she looked at me. "Syn, are you?"

"Run," I groaned, my head snapping up at her. My shoulder blades cracked, making me scream out in pain and stumble backward until I fell onto the dining room table. Glasses went shattering to the floor from the table, and I groaned in pain as my bones continued twisting.

"Syn, will you be-"

"Evacuate the palace," I growled in an unrecognizable voice. When she made no move to do so, I yelled at her, "Now!" She sprung into action, grabbing Mia from the ground and running out with her. The dining room doors slammed behind them and I could hear the screams of servants in the distance trying to run out of the palace.

I took heavy breaths, the light of the full moon in the distance making an animalistic growl rumble from deep inside of me. My vision darkened and my mind began drowning in a sea of red until another side of me began to take over. I heard the deep thundering of his laugh inside of my head, tugging away the little control of myself I had.

Let go, Syn, he growled lowly. It's been so long since I've been able to have some fun of my own.

I was usually able to hold him back by controlling the only emotion I had. My anger. But tonight I couldn't do it, and I couldn't be held responsible for whatever he decided to do.

I tried fighting against it, his painful contorting of my bones making my head throb, and I coughed up blood. My thoughts traveled to Queen and the fact that she was no longer here, and I closed my eyes. Wanting to feel the nothingness I knew I was capable of feeling, I let go, giving away the last bit of control I had to the roaring beast inside me.