A Letter From The God

Nikki's POV

  Nina has left to hunt. Courtney went out shopping with friends and took the babies with her. I'm certain she will find something new to dress Nina and the babies in. Courtney has explained Nina as a daughter of a brother I didn't know I had and the baby her little brother that we adopted after their parents died. Everyone has excepted this fabrication including the press. We'll figure out what to do before it's noticed that Nina doesn't age when the time comes. Cisero informed me Dorian will age like a normal child till he stops aging in his late twenties. I'm thankful I don't have to explain away anything there and he does eat food. He doesn't have fangs yet that apparently doesn't happen till puberty. Nina found a book on raising your hybrid child and what to expect in the coven library. I guess I should read it after her. Until then I guess I should read the book Cicero gave me. It doesn't look like an enjoyable read.

After reading through chapters and chapters discribing vampire children psychology and physiology which I skimmed through. I reach the laws and punishment part. I grow a little pale and sick. I didn't realize how many laws Nina broke to be my lover. The punishment was death by being chained and left out in the sun. If it  hadn't been for Razzle and Tiye consenting to our marriage. Nina would have been put to death. She loved me so much even after the risk she took to be my lover she let me go. Even now that I know that she's my wife I'm still not being the husband she needs. And I have the nerve to be jealous if she seeks love from her Childe family. How can Nina be so forgiving. I need to be better. Sighing I continue to read. Children are not allowed to have sex outside their packs whether it be with mortals or vampire children because it could bring about unregulated creation of more their kind, unwanted hybrid offspring or fighting with other packs. Children outside of packs are considered rogue. They must belong to a pack. Packs can have no more than twelve individuals, council permission can be given for more members. Culling is an exceptiable method to lower a packs numbers. Twelve is the youngest age permitted to be created. If a child is made younger they shall be humanely put to death unless he can prove his ability to survive and hunt for himself. It goes on and on like this, rules upon rules. Death is the punishment for the smallest infraction unless a childe has an adult vampire willing to speak up for them and it can't be their sire. No wonder Nina plays the baby and cultivates so many relationships with her elders. The only mention of an adult vampire responsibility to a Childe is if he creates them he's liable for their rule braking till they reach a hundred. Still if the childe misbehaves the adult just gets a slap on the wrist where the childe can be put to death. Seems a little unfair especially if they abandoned them to fend for themselves. Cicero taught Nina how to survive before leaving her with a pack. He gave her a good headstart. Nefertiti is trying to hold vampires who sire children more responsible. She is also trying to reinstate the position of master and keeper of children with some changes including the name to representative. She can't be there to speak for every Childe. So she is trying to find vampires willing to represent the children in the councils that govern them.

I'm interupted from reading. I have a visitor at my gate. I let him in and without a word he hands me a letter. I notice the leather collar around his neck and the glazed look in the kids eyes. He appears to still be a teen. I check out the envelope. It's from Set.  Poor kid belongs to the self proclaimed god. I look back up to find the kid already on his bike and riding away. I take it back inside to read I wonder what Set could want.

  Nikki Sixx

I have been informed that for Mina to be legal she must join a family and since I intend to reside in LA for the time being. I wish to make a request of you the Master and Keeper of the LA Children that Mina be placed in the pack that Nina belongs to. I believe it is lead by a childe named Jack. I'm sure the twins would love to spend time together after their long separation. Your presence is required at the LA coven house at nine to settle this matter. Don't be late.

                                               Set

Wow how nice of him to think of the girls. I toss the letter on a side table. "Demanding prick I haven't even excepted the position yet." I grumble. I hope they know if I do this for Jack's family it's only temporary. Nina is a handful on her own.

I arrive ten minutes early. I'm tempted to sit in my car wait and be a minute late. Sigh I guess I better not piss off the god Set. I'm greeted by Imhotep at the door he ushers me to a seat at the council table before he takes his own. I hear a lot of grumbling over a human sitting in at a coucil meeting.

"Quiet!" Imhotep commands. "He is here at mine and Nefertiti's request. He represents Jack's family till a permanent representative is found." The vampires reluctantly settle down. I glance around at the vampires present. If I didn't have Imhotep and Cicero on either side of me as guardians. I'd be terrified. I'm still very uncomfortable. This is a full council meeting all the members of the Grand and LA council are here. So are Nina and her family. They look frightened. Shit what is going on, what did I just walk into.