The trial

Nikki's POV

"Come Mr. Sixx sit with me awhile as we wait." Cicero gestures to a chess table. I follow him and sit. I wait as he makes a move on the chessboard. He chuckles and then he looks me in the eyes.
"This isn't really about your lady friend. Normally she would have been just killed on the spot or made to forget depending on the mood of whichever council members were contacted. It definitely wouldn't take a full council" He sighs. I watch a chess piece slide into a new position. I look over and see another vampire smile.

"Damn." I mutter.

"Don't mind Calder he's just showing off." Cicero laughs. "Now back to business If it makes you feel better I may have already convinced them to make her and her grandmother forget."

"Thank you, so why are we here." I ask.

"It's political my human friend. It's about the children gangs. Some among us wish them gone. They are going to use Nina's careless discovery against her. Exposure to the human world is not tolerated."

"This wasn't her fault. I brought Katherine into this." I protest.

"Yes but they say she should have recognized the hunter stench." He gives Kat a look. Then glances at Nina." I should have been stricter about her studies."

"I thought Nina was just being childish when she said Kat smelled like trouble." I groan.

"You have brought up a main point. Vampires not only remain their physical age when they are turned, but also retain some of the mentality too." Cicero smiles as he watches Nina swing her legs back and forth in boredom.

"Yes I've noticed I chuckle. But they follow your laws don't they. They don't mind using them when they see fit." I argue.

"So true and they consider them quite expendable." He frowns. He sighs again "They are coming in, don't speak unless spoken to and keep your answers to a minimum. Don't forget to address them as lord and lady. Some of them can mess you up with Just a look."

I just nod. I watch as they take their seats.
"Cicero can you give me names." I Whisper.

He discreetly points them out and gives me their names.

"Enki the Sumerian, Rihat the Babylonian, Hector the Greek, Nefertiti the Egyptian, Tiye the Nubian, Mitra the Persian are the ancients and very happy to remind you where they come from. The rest are Calder, Zolin, Erin, Bria, and of course my wife Dahlia. The men were all warriors as humans. The woman are of a more humble beginnings." He smiles and directs me to sit next to Nina who is seated behind her mother Dahlia. He makes his way over and sits beside Katherine who looks absolutely terrified. I wish I could be near her.

"Why are we here?" Enki complains. Everyone looks at Cicero.

"I didn't call this trial," Cicero says causally. They all look at each other accusingly. "But since we are here lets begin." He pulls Katherine to her feet. "I have read the young woman's mind. It is full of horror stories of our past deeds in less civilized times." He says smoothly.

"She's still guilty of attempting to eliminate vampires." Tiye comments in a bored voice.

"She only informed hunters of their existence." Cicero says trying to lessen her involvement. "And as you know Lady Nefertiti took care of the hunters in grand fashion. He bows his head to her and she tips her head in acknowledgement. "I believe the perpetrators were duly punished."

"What about the carelessness of the childe that put our kind in the spotlight of hunters again." Rihat mentions slyly.

"Come now Rihat the only ones who know of this are an old woman and this scared girl." Dahlia motions towards Kat. "Which Nina can rectify right now since they are only guilty of believing."

"She's right you know Rihat. You are acting like she's the only vampire to be seen by mortal eyes." Bria quips.

"I'm bored of this." Erin sighs. Let the childe erase their memories. I have a more interesting place to be." She strokes the human male that she has at her side.

"Nina would you please rectify your mistake and the cause of their trouble." Cicero says formally.

"Yes Lord Cicero." Nina responds. I watch Nina look at Katherine and she collapses asleep.

"Now her Grandmother." Cicero directs.

I watch Nina's eyes grow distant.

"I have found Cecil another childe he is going to find her. He is there now. He has made her forget. It is finished." Nina speaks for the council's benefit. The other vampires are completely speechless. Cicero just chuckles.

"How far away was that other vampire childe?" Enki asks Nina.

"In Mexico, Lord Enki." Nina replies with lowered eyes.

"Impressive." He smirks.

"I'm not afraid to be blunt I know there are those among us who have a dislike of the children gangs and this was just another attempt to discuss their elimination. Nina is an excellent example of their capabilities. I would be willing to be responsible for the children they need a voice in this council. They need protection." Nefertiti States.

I'm watching this all go down and Cicero can barely hide his delight. He had not only won his case, but also got the children the protection they needed. He doesn't waste anytime.

"All in favor for Nefertiti's motion?" Cicero asks.

"They all agree some not as happy about it as others.

They disappear quickly out the door. Cicero approaches me with a smile.

"Let's get you and your woman home." He says and lifts Katherine with one arm and encircles the other around Nina. Dahlia places her arms around me and whispers.

"Are you ready?" I barely get yes out and were on the move.

We are back where it all started the hotel suite. I sit on the bed leaning against the headboard. Katherine is asleep near me the bruises on her neck healed courtesy of Nina. In her child like way she has forgiven Kat, but still says she stinks. I'd almost lost two women I love in the last several hours. I'm so tired I sink down into bed and pull Katherine close. I'm so glad she won't remember my rage, but I'll never forget. Nina apologized for not warning me about how I might react to her being in danger. She says I'll learn control. As I start to drift off I feel a gentle kiss on my cheek.

"Goodnight my sweet Guardian." Nina Whispers.