complications with guests

Nikki's POV

"Why did we have move out to the middle of nowhere?" Nina pouts. "I can't hunt here. People would notice if I start picking off the citizens of Jackson."

"Nina you agreed with us this would be good for the babies. It's to late to change your mind now." I sigh.

"I know but I got to go so far to feed. You can't expect me to feed on the local wildlife. I'd get hair in my teeth eww." She groans. I hold back a chuckle.

"Nikki she's talking about killing someone." Courtney reprimands turning a little white. Nina and I give her a funny look as if this should actually surprise her.

"I have to eat!"Nina says her eyes going wide like a child being sent to bed without dinner.

"Why can't you continue taking small drinks without killing?" Courtney asks.

"I'm not an ancient. They can go a long time without a kill. I'm young and I almost lost control tonight. He was an innocent and I could have killed him." She admits. I pull a map on my phone.

"Boise and Denver are the closest Major cities. Can you make it that far and back in one night?" I ask.

"Yes" she answers with confidence.

"How often?"I question.

"At least twice a week if I'm going to remain in control." She answers quietly.

"How are we going to explain her absence to Laney and David while they are here?" Court asks.

"I have no idea." I shrug. She's supposed be my niece from a long lost brother who passed away and she's a 15 year old girl in appearance. I can't just say she's going out with the girls.

"Explain what?" Laney enters the kitchen with a grin. Just then Dorian toddles in.

"Mama." He reaches for Nina to be picked up. We all go quiet.

"Is this the huge secret you have been dancing around." David walks in quietly. "David Dorian is Nina's son. I'm hurt you thought you would have to hide this from me. Poor little girl is click bate enough over her illness. I wouldn't want to add to the dirt." She sighs.
Her supposed illness now that gives me an idea. Nina will have a couple overnight stays at the hospital. I smile.

"Sorry David, Laney. We know you wouldn't say a thing." I'm relieved at least they haven't noticed that Dorian's eyes tinge red when his milk doesn't come fast enough or how Nina's skin is cold to the touch. I want our home to be open to our friends. I'm sure Courtney would feel isolated and I don't want her to ever feel that way. Laney hugs Nina with Dorian in her arms.
"You're such a sweetheart." She coos. God if she only knew. I smirk at Nina. She is obviously using a bit of compulsion.

We sit down for dinner the women had cooked tonight. It still bothers Laney that Nina doesn't eat. She sits drinking a blood laced veggie drink. Being so far away from any cities we started keeping blood packs courtesy of the LA Council blood bank. It's not perfect but it helps Nina. Just when I thought everything was going smoothly I hear a knock at the door. I go to answer it. There stands Cicero in priest garb by the look on his face this is not a social visit.

"Come in." I grant him permission to enter. I once asked him if vampires really need permission to enter a home. He chuckled low and said no but it's always polite to wait for an invitation. It's just one of their rules of etiquette. We enter the dining room together. He smiles politely without showing fangs.

"I'm sorry to intrude on your dinner. I'm father Cicero Candella. I am young Nina's tutor." He introduces himself in a heavy Spanish accent. "May I steel Miss Nina away for her studies?" He smiles. Court and Laney smile it's hard not to like Cicero. He's also very charming with the Ladies. It had surprised me to know he had been a Catholic priest in his human life. He still freely chooses to wear the collar. He motions to Nina to follow him. They leave to the living room together. I'm extremely curious why the sudden visit especially when he knew we have company. It's a risk of exposure he wouldn't take lightly.

Not long after dinner Laney and David excuse themselves. They have become very tired all of a sudden with Cicero's help I'm certain. As soon as they disappear to bed Cicero seats himself at the dinning table. Court serves him a cup of coffee laced with AB his favorite. Then settles herself near me.

"We have a slight problem." He sighs. I rest my arms on the table waiting for him to continue.
"You have settled your family very close to several packs of wolf shifters. They don't like Nina and her hybrid son so close to the towns they claim and protect."

"So there are human wolves in my backyard." I sigh. After finding out about vampires this isn't a huge wow moment.

"Yes and they sent messages to the grand council. They want Nina and her son removed. They believe she is breaking treaty by crossing their territory to feed." He explains.

"This is my property now. I won't pick up and leave. She causes no harm. She feeds without killing."

"Yes she has fed enough from the ancients to gain that kind of control." He smiles proudly at his child. She grins at him with pleasure at his compliment.

"I'm planning to go to Denver tomorrow night to make some kills. It will keep the small towns around us safe from me." She admits softly.

"There is no shame in knowing your limits." He says patting her shoulder.
"Now back to the wolves. I know you have friends here that are not in the know. There is nothing I can do about that this has to be settled soon. We set a date two days from now. I'll help put your friends to bed. Then we will meet at the back edge of your property and discuss a truce between them and Nina." I've always trusted his ability to negotiate, so I'm sure this will work hopefully without violence.

"Nina I need you to go study what I brought you." He shoos her from the table." Courtney excuses herself to go to bed too. I gently give her hand a squeeze. She tired and not looking forward with the meeting with wolves.

"So you did bring her homework." I chuckle.

"Yes I'm training her to run her own family someday. She can't stay with you and Courtney forever your friends and acquaintance will start to notice she doesn't age. I thought the responsibility would help ease her pain of leaving you and her son." He pauses to gage my reaction.

"I know I didn't want to think about it." I lower my eyes.

"I'm sorry to bring it up. All I can say is enjoy the time of being so close. In the near future your relationship will be long distance again." We sit silently for awhile.
"Nikki." He speaks formally. "May I sleep under your roof during the daylight hours?" I'm caught off guard at his request. He's never asked before and it takes a moment to respond.

"Of course Cicero." I finally answer.

"Thank you." I wish him a goodnight and head to bed with Court. I groan softly as I slide into bed. I don't want Nina to go.