Rescue

Nina's POV

  I feel the first cut, then the second. Then I lose count. I guess I'm going out the way I came in. I give in and scream in pain. They haven't even attempted a death blow they are just toying with me. I try to claw but they always seem to be out of reach. I hear them laugh they are enjoying this. Why am I still conscious? I feel so weak. Someone comes up from behind maybe this is it. I steel myself for the expected blow, but it doesn't come.

    My tormentors are suddenly gone and I feel cold soothing arms encircle me. I lean into cool breasts and close my eyes I'm safe. I don't know the reason, but one of the ancient ones has saved me. I get one glimpse at the carnage before she takes off with a dizzying speed. Twelve bodies lay scattered and smoldering. She had burned them.

Nikki's POV

  I wake I can feel Nina's fear. She's in pain. Scrambling out of bed I pull pants on and head for the door with weapon in hand. I'm enraged and not thinking straight.

   "You will be to late and there is to many for you to fight." I hear Katherine's voice behind me. I turn on her.

    "What have you done?" I growl and pick her up by her throat.

   "She's evil...a monster." She gasps struggling. I begin to squeeze her neck tighter. The door to our room opens.

   "Nikki put her down before you kill her." Mick says calmly. "You will regret it if you hurt her."

    "Why would I?" I ask still tightening my grip.

   "Because you love her Nikki as much as you love Nina." He answers softly. I loosen my grip and toss her on the couch.

   Nina said I'd know. I'm fearful that any moment I'll feel her loss. I have to find her. Before I reach the door It crashes open and a woman rushes in carrying Nina. My sweet Nina I sigh. She goes to the bedroom.

      "Close the curtains human." She commands. I swiftly do as I'm told. She lays down with Nina and holds her close. "Tell your woman unlike a young one's body, mine will defend itself." She chuckles and closes her eyes. I step out of the room and close the door.

     Leaning against the door I take a deep breath thankful Nina is still alive. Over the years we have become friends more conversation less touch. We fascinate each other. Her ageless my ageing. My rage is gone now that She is safe. I feel deep remorse for hurting Katherine. I can't believe what I've done. I slowly approach her she huddles in the very corner of the couch.

     "Stay away Nikki." Her voice raspy sounding.  I don't know what to say. There's no real apology for what I did, but I say it anyway.

   "I'm sorry Katherine." I say softly. I try to touch her. She shakes in fear of me. I see my reflection in a mirror my eyes are glowing. I've never had that happen after Nina falls asleep before. I sit near Kat and cover my face with my hands.

    "It's not you it's the blood you've consumed." Katherine whispers and gently touches my arm. "She's a demon Nikki."

   "You should leave Katherine." I'm terrified of what the female Vampire might do when she wakes.

   "You would choose her over me?" She asks.

    "It's not like that I'm trying to protect you both." I groan.

    "Well I'm not going anywhere?" She says being stubborn.

    "Why couldn't you just have trusted me and came to me first?" I ask getting annoyed.

   "Let's see you were drinking vampire blood." She states sarcastically. "In the tales my grandma would tell that's not a good thing."

    "So your family are vampire hunters?" I ask with a grimace

    "According to my grandma for generations untill my father put a stop to the training. He considers it nonsense." She looks down at her hands. "I've heard horrible things Nikki."

    "I won't let you hurt her." I take her hand. "And I won't let her hurt you Katherine." I state.

   "How long have you know her?" She asks.

    "Since 1999 so 10 years." I answer quietly.

    "So you are a thrall a servant." She moans in dispare. "Nikki if she dies you'd be free.

   "Don't even think it." I growl I control my aggression this time. "I have to meet with Kovac in the dining room. Stay out of the bedroom. The other vampire is a real bad ass." I motion Mick to follow me.

    "Sun Glasses Sixx your eyes kid" Mick warns. I grab them as we leave.

  Kovac keeps us late it's almost dark before I get back to my room. I slowly open the door Katherine is asleep on the couch. I sigh the quiet before the storm. I go to the window and watch as the sun goes down. Soon as it's dips below the horizon. The door crashes open and Nina comes racing out. Katherine startles awake.

      "They are coming Nikki." She says in a rush.

       "Who?" I ask.

       "Some of the council. She's got to go Nikki." She says, but it's to late five vampires appear in the room and Nina's savior comes out of the bedroom with a smile. 

     I'm in front of Kat but I know I'm no defense. Nina comes and stands by my side. She doesn't know Kat is responsible for the attack yet. One more vampire appears it's Cicero.

    "Ah Sorry I'm late." He smiles at me. "It appears I'm to be the devil's advocate. He reaches down to Katherine and lifts her to her feet. 

     "Hang on Ladies and Gents you are about to travel vampire express." Nina warns.

    A female gently wraps her arms around me picking me up. I feel dizzy she takes off so fast. I open my eyes when she stops. She sets me down gently. We are in a room with a large table. It has no windows. The walls are painted with Murals of vampire history or maybe legends. I'm not sure. The only source of light are a large amount of candles. I turn to Cicero and bow my head before making eye contact.

     "Why are we here Cicero?" I ask.

    "I'm sorry to tell you but your Lover is about to stand trial." He answers quietly.